Top Shelf Aquatics

wtfe's 7g rimless ADA (was 3g Deco)

wtfe

Way back in October I picked up a 3g Deco kit from Drs F&S for $35 on sale. I saw one at the LFS filled to the rim with zoos and rics and knew that I had to have it. Originally it was going to be an office tank, but we've pretty much dropped the pretense at this point. It's now the official second house tank and has done occasional double duty as a frag tank.

Here are a few pics of the original setup during cycle. I have about 3lbs of live rock. The impeller for the kit HOB filter broke on me so I bought an AC30 to handle filtration+flow. More pics to follow in a minute or two...

picostart1.jpg

picostart2.jpg

Here are some pics from this morning. I've been fragging some zoos lately in the hopes that there will be another secret santa-ish frag swap in February... Other than that, things are filling in nicely. I did add a hammer frag because it was inexpensive and I miss not having anything waving around in the flow.

entire setup:

pico6.jpg

FTS:

pico5.jpg

top down:

pico7.jpg

pico8.jpg

close-ups:

pico4.jpg

pico3.jpg

pico2.jpg

pico1.jpg

That is AWESOME, I love it!!!

Big thumbs up, this is exactly the kind of pico that I really like.

Are those Tub's Blues in there, and if not do you know what kind they are?

I'm pretty sure we're planning on doing another frag swap mid-February so keep an eye out for that.

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody!

That is AWESOME, I love it!!!

Big thumbs up, this is exactly the kind of pico that I really like.

Are those Tub's Blues in there, and if not do you know what kind they are?

I'm pretty sure we're planning on doing another frag swap mid-February so keep an eye out for that.

The blue zoos are not Tub's Blues. They were just sold as "blue zoos" when I got the frag from my LFS. The polyps are pretty small, about 1/2 the size of the typical zoanthid polyp. They are also really slow growers. They are mounted on a trimmed down frag plug that I bought them on, and they haven't really creeped off of it very much since I bought them (last March). Here's a pic from when they were brand new:

pico10.jpg

Awesome pico! :happy:

and re: your avatar -- DON'T TOUCH THE PRECIOUS THINGS OF THE SHOP!

thanks! it's good to know that there's another

fan on n-r...

Great set-up and pics!

What supplements and/or feedings are you adding?

How often and how much water changes are you doing?

What do you keep your salinity and temp at?

Sorry for all the questions! :) Your tank looks great and I'm hoping to get mine looking like yours in the near future...

Thanks!!!

Great set-up and pics!

What supplements and/or feedings are you adding?

How often and how much water changes are you doing?

What do you keep your salinity and temp at?

Sorry for all the questions! :) Your tank looks great and I'm hoping to get mine looking like yours in the near future...

Thanks!!!

i don't add any supplements other than regular water changes. the only feeding i do is occasional (once a week) bit of cyclopeeze directly to the hammer. if i'm feeling benevolent, i'll drop a few sinking pellets in for the crabs.

i change about 8 cups of water (1/2 gal) every week. sometimes more if i have leftover water from changing the 12 gallon. salinity is kept at 1.025 and temp wobbles around from 78-80. in the AC30, i've been running carbon and filter floss. i've officially ditched chemi-pure in the other tank and am switching over to carbon there too. the water clarity with carbon is amazing.

i have a hydor theo 25w heater which i've been less than impressed with the stability of. i've had to recalibrate it three times now, and the temp isn't nearly as stable as the 12 gallon. i've been contemplating switching it out with a 50w heater to see if that helps, but haven't wanted to mess around with another bout of heat problems.

thanks for the compilments!

i have a hydor theo 25w heater which i've been less than impressed with the stability of. i've had to recalibrate it three times now, and the temp isn't nearly as stable as the 12 gallon. i've been contemplating switching it out with a 50w heater to see if that helps, but haven't wanted to mess around with another bout of heat problems.

I've also had problems with the Hydor Theo. Temps are unstable and certainly don't clearly match the dial settings (my experience with two of two of these). I've had mutch better luck with the Stealth in my 12 gallon AP.

Chris

i don't add any supplements other than regular water changes. the only feeding i do is occasional (once a week) bit of cyclopeeze directly to the hammer. if i'm feeling benevolent, i'll drop a few sinking pellets in for the crabs.

i change about 8 cups of water (1/2 gal) every week. sometimes more if i have leftover water from changing the 12 gallon. salinity is kept at 1.025 and temp wobbles around from 78-80. in the AC30, i've been running carbon and filter floss. i've officially ditched chemi-pure in the other tank and am switching over to carbon there too. the water clarity with carbon is amazing.

thanks for the compilments!

Thanks for the information! Keep up the good work!!! :)

i have a hydor theo 25w heater which i've been less than impressed with the stability of. i've had to recalibrate it three times now, and the temp isn't nearly as stable as the 12 gallon.

I have the same heater, but haven't had any problems with it. While it isn't great it keeps my 3 gallon picotope at 78 +/- .5. You are right though that dial is way off.

I bought it because of its small size and it was the only one at my LFS that looked like it would fit in the back of my AC20.

Anyone else know of a great 5" or less heater?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So, I took the deco tank down about 6 months ago and replaced it with a 7 gallon ADA rimless tank. Since most of the livestock is the same, I don't really feel like creating a whole new thread for it. I started by pretty much just migrating the 3g to the 7g directly, but we lost power for 5 days during hurricane Ike (in Ohio, i know...) and I had moved everybody to a friends who had power.

Since the tank was empty, I emptied it out and replaced the substrate with some black sand and added a little more livestock. I'm much happier with the whole setup after the storm than before. Here are the new specs:

7gallon ADA Cube Garden 30-C rimless tank

36W Coralife CF lighting

HOB filter with surface skimmer from DFS

6# LR

Various zoos

Clove polyps

Hammer coral

1 Turbo snail

2 Nassarius snails

pics:

new tank:

tank_10_08_2008_12.jpg

first day (pre-storm)

tank_10_08_2008_11.jpg

FTS (pre-storm)

tank_10_08_2008_9.jpg

Rics (pre-storm)

tank_10_08_2008_8.jpg

New substrate and aquascaping:

tank_10_08_2008_3.jpg

New FTS:

tank_10_08_2008_13.jpg

macro shots:

tank_10_08_2008_5.jpg

tank_10_08_2008_4.jpg

tank_10_08_2008_6.jpg

So, I took the deco tank down about 6 months ago and replaced it with a 7 gallon ADA rimless tank. Since most of the livestock is the same, I don't really feel like creating a whole new thread for it. I started by pretty much just migrating the 3g to the 7g directly, but we lost power for 5 days during hurricane Ike (in Ohio, i know...) and I had moved everybody to a friends who had power.

Since the tank was empty, I emptied it out and replaced the substrate with some black sand and added a little more livestock. I'm much happier with the whole setup after the storm than before. Here are the new specs:

7gallon ADA Cube Garden 30-C rimless tank

36W Coralife CF lighting

HOB filter with surface skimmer from DFS

6# LR

Various zoos

Clove polyps

Hammer coral

1 Turbo snail

2 Nassarius snails

pics:

new tank:

tank_10_08_2008_12.jpg