inTank Media Baskets

DJ Bacon's new and improved 14g biocube with 72 watt nanocustoms upgrade

Djbacon

Hey Nano-Reef - Iv'e finally got off my arse, quit droolling over all the fine tanks here and started one of my own. Due to limited space I chose the 14G Biocube and so far am sticking with the stock equipment. My intention is to grow as beutiful a soft coral reef as possible in te next two years before we move to a new home and upgrade to a larger size.

For now its a simple set up, about 14 lbs of cured premium live rock and an inch of sand set up in a bit of horseshoe formation. Waiting for the tank to cycle and then look forward to adding a family of mushrooms and zoas, a couple fish and whatever else I can finagle out of my local LFS. For now it's lonely and dark in my tank. Just a few rocks and the algae they came with. Dropped a dose of "purple up" in there on the advice of the LFS. The Rocks were already rich with algae but a little color ought to lay a nice foundation.

Never really blogged before and already have a sore finger after burning the ###### out of it on my heater. Made the mistake of trying to move it after plugging it in. Out of the water those things get damn hot.

A little worried about heat in proximity to the back of the tank and posibly melting the plastic but I have to think that the folks at Oceanic thought of this and made the rear tank wall out of something realtively heat tolerant.

That's all for now - Photo # 1 to follow. Looking forward to the ride !!

3 month mark - before and after pics, + new 4.5 month pic + 8 month pic

post-33541-1207605811_thumb.jpg

post-33541-1207605917_thumb.jpg

post-33541-1211470165_thumb.jpg

post-33541-1223574848_thumb.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the BC club and to N-R.com! I too own a BC14 and am quite happy with it. There is a lot you can do with it ...

As some beginner advice ... READ READ READ (and search) the READ SOME MORE! There are a lot of great people on here that give some amazing advice. A lot of times though someone has already asked the questions. Use the "search forums" button and it will help out a lot. Believe me, I know.

Also, take everything your LFS says with a grain of salt. I would ALWAYS double check on here before doing anything they suggest. Remember, they are the ones that one to SELL you stuff so they can make money, and not always looking out for your best interest. ;-)

LOL, yes, the heaters do get very hot ;-) and I would hesitate on the Purple Up at this point in the game. A good maxim to remember is, "Don't dose something unless you are testing for it".

Good luck, have fun, and I am sure I will see you around.

Oh, and get a ticker from tickerfactory.com It helps us (and you) know how old your tank is. For an example see below lol

Welcome to the BC club and to N-R.com! I too own a BC14 and am quite happy with it. There is a lot you can do with it ...

As some beginner advice ... READ READ READ (and search) the READ SOME MORE! There are a lot of great people on here that give some amazing advice. A lot of times though someone has already asked the questions. Use the "search forums" button and it will help out a lot. Believe me, I know.

Also, take everything your LFS says with a grain of salt. I would ALWAYS double check on here before doing anything they suggest. Remember, they are the ones that one to SELL you stuff so they can make money, and not always looking out for your best interest. ;-)

LOL, yes, the heaters do get very hot ;-) and I would hesitate on the Purple Up at this point in the game. A good maxim to remember is, "Don't dose something unless you are testing for it".

Good luck, have fun, and I am sure I will see you around.

Oh, and get a ticker from tickerfactory.com It helps us (and you) know how old your tank is. For an example see below lol

Thanks for you reply.

I got started on a bit of a fast track I suppose, since I live across the street from a verry good LFS in San Francisco. The Live (premum fijian) Rock, Sand and Water all came straight from their tanks. I trust these guys to some extent because when I went in all gung ho before Chrstimas they MADE me buy some books and made sure I read them before they would even really engage me about the hobby. I've been wanting to do this forever but did not realize how complex it all could be. The challenge just got me more excited really. Anyway, Im hoping for a slightly shorter cylce due to the aforementioned but am still going to be patitent and take my time. Wait for a few weeks of stable readings in my tank before adding anything else.

I have noticd that the live rock already has a few little white polyp looking things emerging from the holes in the rock. Not sure what they are. Could they be hair worms, feeding tubes? Will take a close up of them and post tonight. I have read that sometimes dnagerous bacteria and worms can reside in live rock but these came straight out of the "cure tank" at the LFS where they have been for months.

For now - this is the result of the mayhem in my living room last night. The dust has settled and I'm looking forward to getting this tank going. B)

Took my first readings today

salinity (1.023) , ph (8), Nitirites (0), and Nitrates (5-10ish) all where they should be (i think?).

Temp is fluctuating a bit between75-80/ It was warm this morning when I got up (all lighting off over night) and a bit cooler after the lights have been on and the fans running today.

I think I need a bit more live rock. I've read alot about not stacking the rock against a wall but most of the cube tanks I've seen on NR seem to be stacked right up the back. Anybody have any advice on this?

Looking to get some answers to the mysterious white tubes emerging from the existing rock and some more pieces to finish the foundation to my aquascape tonight.

Nice ticker ;-)

Hmm, white wormy things ... could be many things. I wouldn't worry too much about 'em.

As for the back wall, I think it is MOST IMPORTANT to not build the LR up against the sides. Mine is VERY close and I wish I had pushed it back a bit farther. The reason for this is that you want room enough to be able to scrap the sides with a magfloat/scraper to get rid of algae and such ... I see no reason to not stack it against the back wall ... maybe leave a little room for flow so detrius doesn't get trapped ...

Yes, get some more of that wonderful fiji rock. Also, do you have a heater? If not buy one, make sure it is calibrated and set it close to your higher temp. This will help prevent temp fluctuations which is harmful to the inhabitants.

Good luck! MORE PICS MORE PICS MORE PICS MORE PICS!

Thanks, yeah have a heater - set it to 75. seems to be hotter in the morning (after the fans arent running with the sun lamps) and then seems to heat up agin further when the sun lamps are turned on. Havent bedn able to get steady temps yet. Unfortunately my thermometer / hydrometer broke accidentally so I am winging it until tomorro when I can get another.

I took some pictures of 2 organisms coming out of the rock. One actually stretched out to an inch and a half looked like a magnified bacteria of sorts, probably a worm. looked like a very long skinny old tv antennae. or a tiny hair thin pipe cleaner. The other looked more tubular, about 2 milimeters in width with a bristly body, could be the same critter but larger. I'll post in the morning.

Cheers!

Two photos coming up. I've been led to believe this is a feather duster worm, although searches for images on the web look far more beautiful than this little thing? The second one is much thicker and shorter, and has a bristle, spiny body which is hard to make out in the photo. It has never extended out like the 8 or so other ones in the tank pictured in the first image. This is the only guy of this variety.

Would love any help identifying these and determining if they are going to pose a problem for my future coral inhabitants, or if they are simply beneficial occupants of the live rock.

Cheers!

post-33541-1200002408_thumb.jpg

As best I can tell, after much research, the first critter pictured, from all accounts is a DIGITATE HYDROID

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...ferrerid=112003

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...igitate+hydroid

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=258477

Once I started searching for that name I found a ton of people here on this site and otheres that have had problems with these and their soft corals. They seem to mulitply VERY quickly and are beasts to remove. T

They also have a painful sting (related to jelly fish family)

My LFS is going to confirm the ID tonight and offered replace any rock infested. I picked out the most colorful green purple algae covered pieces they had in the cure tank. Guess they call it live rock for a reason.

Hmmm, your guess does seem correct. I don't have a lot of knowledge about these thingys. Although from some of the threads you posted it seems like they disappear after a while (or something eats them)... you do have real purdy rocks though ... nice and colourful...

No clue about image two ... did you say snail-like ... maybe a stomatella?

OK, well, the LFS confirmed it, they were definitely hydroids and they definitely did sting. They were good enough to let me get a new batch from another cure tank. This time I mixed it up a little bit. Made a new foundation of the fiji live rock. and got a great piece of some other stuff with tunnels on both sides to allow for better flow and passages for the fish and clean up crew!! Im much happier with this aquascape. I did find another hydroid and quickly dispatched him.

I also found a couple feather duster worms which I am perfectly happy to leave in there on a smaller piece of rock.

My tank levels have been stable for 3 days. I have removed the bioballs because this is going to be primarily a coral tank. Everyone seems to agree that it is the right thing to do and I bought the skimmer from oceaninc, which I expect it in a few days. I figure I'm basically starting from scratch with all the changes today, which brings me to another question for you fine folks.

The guys at the store are telling me I need to add a biostart compound or a damsel fish or two to generate some poopoo to start this tank cycling.

Since all the sand, cured live rock and saltwater came from the store environment, and has all acclimated to each other, they are telling me that if I do not do this the tank will never really cycle. I have been given other advice that a piece of shrimp will do the trick as well. I've also been told that everything currently in there will do the trick on it's own. Any feedback on this?

Some books I have read suggest sacrifing a small fish (which may actually survive the process). I was also under the impression that from other reading that I was to add nothing for the first month at least to stabilize the tank.

Now Im confused

New pics below!!

post-33541-1200027601_thumb.jpg

You don't need to add fish to start a cycle. Leaving the shrimp in there over night works. I've heard throwing a bit of fish food in the tank works too. As long as you get the ammonia going. I just took some uncured smelly live rock and put it in the tank.After the cycle do a H2o change and add your cleanup crew (hermits and snails and what not). That's what I've done with all my tanks.

Thanks Falcon_Punch, getting pretty pyched about this !!

Took some readings this morning before I left the house.

Low and behold, my amonia was between 3-4mg (not easy to tell with the cololr chart readings). DEFINITELY higher than 2 days ago when it registered flat. Perhaps some die off from the addition of the new live rock? I did not change the water out from the previous batch. Moved the sand around under the new rock to eliminate any dead spots. (this was fairly challlenging)

PH - 8

NH3/3 - 3.5

NO3 -12.5

salinity 1.022

Temp - 79-80

The new rock came with some new friends. This morning I found 3 more feather duster worms, including two rather large (in comparison) red ones. Also another 2 hydroids though, grrrrrr. I have pulled out 3 now from this new batch of rock. Pressumably their death is adding to the amonia increase :-) Seems impossible to get them at the root but the bodies seems to go limp after the tops are removed. Hopefully permanently!

Have another question for anyone who might know the answer. After removing the bioballs from the 2nd chamber the tank is really loud as the water drops to a different level in the second tank. I ordered the oceanic skimmer for the BC14g so I am hesitant to start cutting away any walls on which it might be designed to attach. Can anyone suggest a beneficial material I can add to chamber 2 to reduce noise and benefit stabilization? I already have 12 lbs of LR in the main tank so I am not sure I see the need for more rubble in the back which may be hard to clean/remove later. Filter Floss? Chaeto? What the hell is chaeto anyway? Guess I have some more homework to do. :-)

Cheato is a macro algae that grows like a weed (but is easy to control) and it uses all the excess nutrients in tank so ugly microalgae doesn't grow everywhere. Very beneficial but needs a light source.

I wouldn't use a fish to start the cycle. Cruel, and in the end, you nowhave a fish in there that you might not have wanted .... I have heard the shrimp method works. or like falcon said, put some fish food in there. Really you just need something in there to start rotting and decomposing ...

Aquascape is much better ... right side looks a little barren though ... more rock :-) on average us about 1-1.5lbs per gallong ... I think I have about 17 gallons in my BC14.

Looking good ... patience ... patience .... patience ... patience ... ;-)

OK - deli shrimp is IN and water stability is OUT!

NH3/4 at about 4

N03 is about 25

Guess this thing is a cyclin!! I did get a few more pieces of live rock to fill up the right side. Came with a little slug that looks like just like the garden variety but much smaller. I'll post new pics a bit later. Looking forward to February B) !!

Thanks for info the on the Chaeto - seems like a lot of folks put it in the 2nd chamber. For now I am just using filter padding in place of the bio balls. The skimmer is designed to replace the filter pack in chamber one which also houses my heater. Not sure where to put my heater now as chambers 2-3 water levels are not high enough by design. Might be time to make a few modifications. I don't want that ugly ass heater in the main tank !

Now that you have the bioballs removed you can add more water (past the "max" line in the 3rd chamber window). Add water till the water levels in chamber 2 and 3 are near the top. The reason for the "max" line is when you are using the bioballs, apparently they work as a wet/dry filter, using the drip tray in chamber 2. Without the bioballs you don't need to drip and the water levels can be much higher, thereby allowing you to move your heater to chamber 3 ;-)

PS - did you remove all the nitrate factories (aka. sponges) from the back chambers? Good ;-)

Hoomhow, cant tell ya how much I appreaciate the advice. I did not remove the filter on the advice of the LFS. They agreed the bioballss must go, but suggested to leave the sponge in and rinse it once a month.

I hear mixed reviews about the sponge. No ill effects removing yours?

Hoomhow, cant tell ya how much I appreaciate the advice. I did not remove the filter on the advice of the LFS. They agreed the bioballss must go, but suggested to leave the sponge in and rinse it once a month.

I hear mixed reviews about the sponge. No ill effects removing yours?

Remove it, I left mine in my 24g ap and it was creating problems for my tank. I replaced mine with rubble rock and filter floss which is a lot better. :)

Here's what my chambers look like:

Rubbleandfilterfloss.jpg

Hey thanks for the reply, can you elaborate on the kind of probelms you were having? High Nitrate? I just started cycling 2 days ago. Is this the right time to make the removal?

Thanks !!

Sponges trap detrius which then starts to decompose, thereby creating nitrates.

No ill effects for removing mine. I too keep a chunk of LR rubble and filter floss in its place (replacing the filterfloss every wc or so.

No prob about the advice. We all learn from each other. I know I have my own questions ;-)

Hey thanks for the reply, can elaborate on the kind of p[obelms you were having? Hi Nitrate? I just started cycling 2 days ago. Is this the right time to make the removal?

Thanks !!

I had a ammonia spike that I think was related to the sponge.

You can remove it anytime, it wont hurt anything.

Quick update - got the skimmer installed last night. So far nothing much to skim. Bio balls are out, sponge is out. Chamber 1 now houses the skimmer, Chamber2 is stuffed with filter floss (may another chunk of LR back later).Chamber 3 is now just for the pump and heater. Waiting is painful.PH - 8NH3/4 still at about 3-4NO3 is around .30Salinity 1.023Temp 79I assume these numbers are normal at this point. Pics of the skimmer and aditional rocks below.

post-33541-1200589122_thumb.jpg

post-33541-1200589132_thumb.jpg

Love the rockwork! Make sure that everything is nice and stable. I don't like the use of marine putty to glue rocks together. One thing that bothers me about my rockwork is that one of the rocks is loose and always shifts a little. Stability is key. Nice going on the skimmer. Yes the numbers of normal. And yes,

Waiting is the hardest thing ... sounds like a song, doesn't it? ;-) Just remember, as hard as it is, the longer you wait, the more stable your system will be.

Archived