Top Shelf Aquatics

ADUB's 24g Aquapod

xADUBx

Well I have been waiting to do a post about my tank until I got a decent camera to take the pictures and that day is today. Got a great camera from my girlfriend as an early Christmas present......so now I can finally show off my 24g Aquapod!

Before I start I would like to say thanks to H20's Aquapod thread. I got a lot of really great ideas from him as I am new to nanos and it has really helped me being able to follow his thread. Also a big thanks to 'c est ma' (Diane), she has answered many of my questions and helped me along the way! And to any one else who has chimed in on my posts it was greatly appreciated.

THE AQUAPOD...

I set it up at the end of Oct. this year so it has been running for a few months now.

20lbs of Fiji live rock

20lbs of live sand

Equipment, Filtration, and Lighting...

I replaced the stock power head with a MJ1200 that is located in the rear chamber. I also placed a Koralia Nano in the display. I removed all of the stock filtration and media and built an eggcrate shelf that is in the rear chamber. (Got this great idea from H20's thread, and I believe he got the idea from another nano-reefer.) On the shelf I have a layer of filter floss and a 1/4 inch think piece of blue sponge. And a stealth 50w heater finishes up the back chambers. In the display I placed a soap dish holder, that I purchased at Linens&Things, with a big wad of chaeto.

For the lighting, I bought the nanotunners 108w upgrade kit and the R2 moonlights which have 5 blue LEDs. The bulbs I choose for the 108w kit were the 10,000K daylights, 50/50, and Actinic Blue. I had this shipped to me and total install time was about 4 hours...a trip to Home Depot is included in that time.

Livestock...

4 Nassarius snails

5 Astea snails

2 Cerith snails

2 red legged Hermit crabs

1 Emerald carb

Tail Spot Blenny

Coral

Green Start Polyps

Green Zoa frag (Soloman Islands?)

Red Zoa frag (Soloman Islands?)

Purple Mushrooms

Green Stripped Mushrooms

Green Rics

FTS

2007_12240004.jpg

Left Side

2007_12240005.jpg

Rights Side

2007_12240006.jpg

Middle

2007_12240007.jpg

Zoas

2007_12240008.jpg

Zoas under Actincs

2007_12240002.jpg

Green Rics (still have to play with the camera settings )

2007_12240009.jpg

Mushrooms

2007_12240014.jpg

Tail Spot Blenny

2007_12240013.jpg

Emerald, snails, blenny

2007_12240011.jpg

2007_12240015.jpg

That's it for now, I'm off for the Holidays so hopefully ill have time to play with the camera settings and get some better shots.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tank, I have the Koralia 1 and I have it mounted on the left side, I never thought about mounting in the back, didnt think it would magnetize through the black wall, I'll give it a try.

Thats a primo tank for only two months, is that a GSP in the front? My buddy at the LFS always jokes with me that its nothing but a weed, but I just love how it floats in the current. Prolly gonna get myself a metallic version when my 20L is up and running.

MiMiC

The Koralia on the back wall works great, I think you can put it pretty much anywhere in the display.

da1001

Yea its GSP up front, I like it a lot, it definitely livens up the tank. The camera doesn't do it justice it is a bright neon green.

knoxvegas

I leave the lid open almost all of the time. I haven't noticed a big temp change so far. I forgot to mention that I also installed two SilenX fans in the hood that replaced the stock one. My tank runs about 78 at night and during the day it gets up to about 81. I also have a tower fan next to the tank which helps keep the temp down during the day.

Really, with my door open and AC below 76 I can acheive daytime temps of 80, if i close my door it goes to 81, but i can lower it by setting my ac to like 75 or 74, opening the door is alot easier though lol.

nice tank bud

Picked up a new ric today. Bright neon orange with a little bit of yellow and a green mouth, tried taking some pics but the colors barely show up in the shots I took. Tomorrow ill play with the camera settings for a while and post some pics.

clyde

The lighting upgrade is great so far. I am definitely glad I upgraded the fans as well, they are helping to keep the temps down.

mimic

Yea that feeder door is great, during the day I have a tower fan that blows over the open door which pushes a lot of cool air in there.

Here are some pictures of the new ricordea I bought yesterday. The colors under the moonlights are amazing! Sorry no pic for that, having a hard time taking pics with just the moonlights on.

Under daylights...

2007_122707Christmas0012.jpg

Under actinics...

2007_122707Christmas0011.jpg

New Addition

New addition to the tank was added yesterday, picked up a colt coral frag from the LFS for $15. Today it is doing great! It's fully extended and flowing in the current.

2008_01010006.jpg

2008_01010009.jpg

2008_01010011.jpg

2008_01010010.jpg

Yesterday I also attempted my first frag. Before placing the colt in my tank I snipped a small branch from the lower part of it and placed in a shot glass on top of a frag plug. It hasn't attached yet, keeps falling off of the plug. If anybody has any suggestions I am all ears. But the frag seems to be doing well, it has all of its polyps out. In the pic below it is closed up because it had fallen off of the plug and I just placed it back on top of it.

2008_01010007.jpg

Also...I finally snapped a shot of this little hitch hiker, what I believe is a bristle worm.

2008_01010001.jpg

ADUB, what a great looking tank! I love your rock scape and the placement of your corals. You have some very nice specimens and lovely coralline.

Congrats on the new camera--you're getting quite good with it!

Hope you get a response on the "frag-falling-off-the-plug" query--I always have this problem, too! Even when the piece of rubble (which I usually use instead of plugs) is about exactly the diameter of the shot glass. :angry:

Nice shot of the bristle worm. They are great members of your clean-up crew.

Wonderful start!

--Diane

UPDATE

First off...got a new addition. Black and White Clown

2008_01050009.jpg

This little guy is hard to get a good pic of, he is constantly moving. The Tail Spot Blenny chased him a few times when I put him in but now they are getting along just fine. He is a great addition and I think this will do it for fish for a while.

Early this week I may order some zoanthids from www.vividaquariums.com. I am thinking about a frag of Superman zoas and Hulk zoas. I love the colors on Supermans!

I fragged my colt coral when I introduced it to the tank last week and the frag seems to be doing great. It's attached to a plug and opens up fully.

2008_01060001.jpg

Interesting pic of one of my mushrooms...

2008_01050001.jpg

And I noticed a few weeks ago that I have some Spirorbis on the back side of my soap dish cheato holder...

2008_01060004.jpg

My bleached ric appears to be recovering, the orange/brown spots on it where its color is coming back are slowly but surely getting larger. Didn't take any pics of it this time though.

Thanks Diane!

No it's not in much flow at all. There is a rock behind it that overhangs that mushroom rock so it doesn't get any direct flow. I've had that mushroom rock for about a month now, it started out with nine shrooms on it and now there are about 14!

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much going on but being bored at work I felt the need for a little update.

The Colt coral frag has almost DOUBLED in size and its only been 22 days since it was fragged!

For the past couple weeks I have gotten a diatom bloom, not sure why...all my parameters are good, nitrates show up as 0. So I added a some more CUC, 4 more astreas and 2 nassarius. That brings the clean up crew total to...

6 Nassarius snails

9 Astea snails

2 Cerith snails

2 red legged Hermit crabs

1 Emerald carb

As always, the more you look at a reef tank the more you will find. I saw that I have a Stomatella and also what looks like a baby snail. It is about an 1/8th of an inch big. I snapped some shots of both but haven't uploaded the pics yet.

My GSP has been closing up during the day for a couple days at a time, it does this every two weeks or so. I know that it is normal for them to do this every once in a while, but every couple weeks seems too often. As I said all my params are ok, ill test again tonight and post the results. They have plenty of flow and when they are out they look great. I recently switched from pre-mixed salt water to using Instant Ocean but this was occurring before the switch. But if anybody knows why this may be happening I am all ears.

I tested last about a week ago...

pH - 8.3

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 400ppm

Phosphate - 0

Alkalinity - 9dKH

Salinity - 1.023

Looks good. The only thing I see to possibly improve is your SPG is on the low side for a reef tank.... I think usually you only keep the spg low like that for fish only tanks, since parasites have a tougher time with low salinity, but the fish can adjust. Natural ocean water is 1.026, and most reefers I know of keep their tanks around 1.025-1.026.

Thanks for the advice Mathias. I usually keep it up a little higher, I think my last water change was a little on the low side...so this weekend I'll bump up the SPG a bit when I do my water change.

Archived