Pod Your Reef

I got T-5s PICS!

121a

Hello everyone, i am making a tank and i decided to go with T-5s as i wanted to see what the hype is. The tank is strictly SPS/Zoa/Clam. I ordered the 4x24w T-5 HO retro from reefgeek with the icecap reflectors. My bulb choices were

24W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent by ATI

24W 6000K Midday Sun T5 HO Fluorescent by Giesemann

24W 12000K Actinic White (50/50) T5 HO Fluorescent by UV Lighting

24W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent by Giesemann

Im really stoked and want to see what you guys have on your tanks and what bulb config you used. Post pics also of the tank with T-5s! I really want to see what they look like.

Merry Christmas to all.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello everyone, i am making a tank and i decided to go with T-5s as i wanted to see what the hype is. The tank is strictly SPS/Zoa/Clam. I ordered the 4x24w T-5 HO retro from reefgeek with the icecap reflectors. My bulb choices were

24W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent by ATI

24W 6000K Midday Sun T5 HO Fluorescent by Giesemann

24W 12000K Actinic White (50/50) T5 HO Fluorescent by UV Lighting

24W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent by Giesemann

Im really stoked and want to see what you guys have on your tanks and what bulb config you used. Post pics also of the tank with T-5s! I really want to see what they look like.

Merry Christmas to all.

i just ordered a 48W t5 i can't wait to show up. the tanks look amazing. just search for t-5* i think that should work

I am very happy with my t5. I currently have 2 6.5k ge bulbs (great par and cheap), 2 ati blue plus, 1 uv super actinic, 1 uv 75/25, 1 12k and 1 13k. Here is my tank.

2116411532_9a28a4422d_b.jpg

You can check mine out, but I got 3 Aquablues, ATI daylight, 1 GE 6500 and an Actinic.

If I were you, I would got 1 Aquablue, GE Daylight (6500), Actinic, Aquablue

I think you will be happy...but its hard to totally due without MH for

SPS...or anything in that manner that wants a little UV exposure.

I still want to supplement some MH...but this is a middle shot of

my 75 gal...T5 V HO Tek 2...4 bulb at 84 watt @ 48 inchs.

post-14574-1198455574_thumb.jpg

Izzue

I think you will be happy...but its hard to totally due without MH for

SPS...or anything in that manner that wants a little UV exposure.

I still want to supplement some MH...but this is a middle shot of

my 75 gal...T5 V HO Tek 2...4 bulb at 84 watt @ 48 inchs.

post-14574-1198455574_thumb.jpg

Izzue

hey izzue, they make a uv t5 bulb. i think mhs are overrated simply because of T-5s! if you want the shimmer added in, just buy a 4 bulb led system, still under 200 for a nano!

cool, thanks guys/girls. I don't want to go through the hassel of changing my bulb requests. I think i should have great growth and good coloration with the bulbs i got. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

Nanu Nanu:

Where did you get those frag racks? I gotta have some!!!

Found them. www.mag-racks.com Ordered a medium one.

Carry on with the light discussion. Sorry for the temporary hijack. :)

2x24w t5 SLS ready-fit retro's....1xati blue plus and 1xuvl aquasun

on a 10g half and half :happy: half frag tank and half display.

the rock on the middle with the anthelias is temporary...selling that tomorrow...

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

sorry...best i can do with my camera.

hey izzue, they make a uv t5 bulb. i think mhs are overrated simply because of T-5s! if you want the shimmer added in, just buy a 4 bulb led system, still under 200 for a nano!

Talks to me Sexy...You got a link to a T5 bulb that actually puts out some ultra

violent rays??? Thats what Im looking for ...MH not are the only high intensity bulbs

they also emit a certain amount of UV which causes the extreme colors in some corals

....espcially SPS to protect themselves.

Have you actually seen the Leds like the new Current ones mixed with T5 to get the shimmer

...Ive been skeptical on that and so far no one with any experience with that has spoken up?

Izzue

well i can see your point. However, i know someone with the solaris I4 and they said their SPS growth EXPLODED. I'm assuming LED's don't put out UV.

My t5 are growing SPS...in the pic above...that acro up top left facing.

Was a wild colony that grows under PC...but as you can see it doesnt have

much color.

Under a friend of mines MH 250 12k bulbs...same coral is blue and green.

I cant achieve that color...

Wonder what would be best...Illuminating.com sponsor hear...has a easy retro

70 and 150. I cant decide if I want to try one lamp in the middle of a 4 foot tank

and only run it about 4 hours a day...or maybe two 70s to run right to left??

70W don't have much of a bulb choice.i still want the shimmer so i'm thinking of adding 4x5w red LEDs. I heard red helps bring out colors in aquariums, plus led's are cheaper than halides, so i'll see how that goes.

well i can see your point. However, i know someone with the solaris I4 and they said their SPS growth EXPLODED. I'm assuming LED's don't put out UV.

The Royal Blue LEDs that they use are borderline UV-B spectrum (thats why they are measured in mW and not lumens). The color under them looks awesome, but does make the light very blue. Corals will fluoresce under them.

70W don't have much of a bulb choice.i still want the shimmer so i'm thinking of adding 4x5w red LEDs. I heard red helps bring out colors in aquariums, plus led's are cheaper than halides, so i'll see how that goes.

Right on with the MH...

Have you actually seen a tank with Red Leds that gave a shimmer...I want to see a tank

that has this working...Ive talked with some good folks...all of them say you will not be able

to see any shimmer when T5s are on.

Where can you get the red Leds setup your talking about...Ive only seen the Current that comes

in blue and white only?

You definitely lose the shimmer but it is not hard to grow sps under t5. The colors will be different under mh vs t5 but that is not bad. I've got some amazing coloration out of several SPS colonies I bought from MH tanks. Pretty much every coral I have bought has changed color in my tank. Some change to a color I like more others not so much. This is the same with all corals though not just SPS. I just bought an aussie acan that was a brownish orange under my friends MH. Its a bright pink now and I love it

First off you guys are getting me giddy. I'm worried and excited now.

as for the LEDs i cannot find them now. However i do know if you have enough flow on the top of the aquarium you will see a 'shimmer'. Seen it at an LFS with PC lights, pretty cool.

thats some crazy water movement to get a shimmer of PCs...

anything with a high output with very little output area will give a good shimmer.

Yeah like Salty said: Welcome to the cool people club lol. Here's my bulb selection. No the best shot but you get the idea. ATI Blue Plus, UV Pure Actinic, UV 10,000K Aquasun and 12,000K Aquablue Special

11-25-07_0058.jpg

DSC05203.jpg

Archived