Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AquaC Remora Skimmer Installed on JBJ 28G HQI

ScottyDo

I got a used AquaC Remora skimmer today and promptly got to modding it to fit on my JBJ 28G HQI.

I had read somewhere it was possible to fit an AquaC Remora with a Maxi-Jet 1200 in the stock skimmer location but had no instructions. This is what I came up with - I don't think it can be done any other way and still fit. I highly recommend a Dremel if you are going to to this.

The first thing I did was remove the top housing cover. It is just for cosmetic purposes anyway.

IMG_0658.jpg

The cord takes up some room so I cut out a new relief for the cord.

IMG_0661.jpg

The intake had me the most concerned. In order to get it to fit I cut off about 1/8 inch or so from the entire intake. Next, I fashioned some standoffs to keep the pump from sucking up against the glass, and took another 1/4 inch or so off.

IMG_0664.jpg

The stock tubing that came with mine was a little too short so I put a slightly longer piece of tubing on. This gives you enough flex to maneuver the pump around and get it in the chamber.

IMG_0665.jpg

Once it was in, I turned it on and added a gallon or so of salt water - working great! Here are a few shots of it on the tank.

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

Archived