Pod Your Reef

Starting New- Finnex 30gal. T5 Lighting

HammyDavisJr

Well after my 20 Gallon Finnex asploded last year, I decided to FINALLY get my rear in gear and get started setting up the new 30 Gallon Finnex.

Purchased my RO unit a few weeks ago.

DSCF3106.JPG

Last night I shimmed up my stand, placed the tank, dumped in my dead sand and rock, and filled it with about 20 gallons of RO water. I still need about 5 more gallons to totally fill the front display and back chambers. I am planning on simply mixing the saltwater in the tank, and letting it cook for a few weeks. When that is done, my friend will bring about 5 gallons from his established tank, and some sand, and we'll 'seed' the tank and let it cook for a few more weeks.

DSCF3187.JPG

Hopefully this one won't blow up.

Cool. May I ask what happened to your previous 20 gallon finnex? Im currently letting my finnex 20 gallon cook just like yours.

Bluebastion is correct. It cracked right on one of the rounded corners and made one hell of a mess.

I've now got the tank full of water, and I'm adding salt.

It's nice and stinky!

Well Hammy, you've got a much nicer aquarium now... I wish I had waited for the 30 to come out... bended glass is so overrated.

Thanks, I'm glad to get going again as well.

It's all full of water, at 78 degrees, and I've been slowly adding salt to get her up and running. I'll let it run for a week or so, then do a 50% water change to clear out some of the 'curing rock stink'.

My friend is on deck to bring me some water, coraline scrapings, and some sand from his tank when I'm ready. I'm just waiting for any sort of cycle to occur.

Make sure you keep that Coralife RO/DI unit in that tub. Twice the canisters on mine cracked and flooded my cellar. I bought a new one from the filter guys and haven't had a problem yet.

Robb

Make sure you keep that Coralife RO/DI unit in that tub. Twice the canisters on mine cracked and flooded my cellar. I bought a new one from the filter guys and haven't had a problem yet.

Robb

Thanks for the heads up. The RO unit is currently sitting near the tub, but my basement floor is cement, and the floor drain is about 3 feet away from the unit.

Currently making another 25 gallons of RO in preparation for some water changes and top-offs.

Gotta start thinking about rockwork soon. It stresses me out!

Water and salt were added, salinity and temp is where it needs to be. I reconnected my Tunze 9002 Skimmer from my old tank, and it instantly started to pull gunk out of the water.

I'll continue to empty the skimmer, change the filter floss, and generally stir up the sand and scrub the rock to get any remaining funk off of it.

I'll probably do a 50% water change in about a week, and continue to monitor parameters in preparation for 'seeding'.

DSCF3198.JPG

DSCF3196.JPG

DSCF3195.JPG

DSCF3193.JPG

DSCF3191.JPG

Tested ammonia tonight just for fun. Looks like I'm getting some ammonia spike already. Probably some dead spiders and whatnot in the rock.

KEEP ON COOKING!

Planning on a 10 gallon water change next Monday.

Any advice on a fuge setup?

Chaeto, sand, Live rock?

Mineral Mud, Red Macro Algae, Chaeto?

Live Rock Only?

Looks good Hammy. I'm concerned about the amount of sand though unless you're going for a DSB...

In my fuge I have a few L/R rubble pieces and a motherload of chaeto.

Looks good Hammy. I'm concerned about the amount of sand though unless you're going for a DSB...

In my fuge I have a few L/R rubble pieces and a motherload of chaeto.

Actually most of the sand is piled towards the front for some reason. When I get ready to aquascape, I'll even it out. I DO like a deep sand bed though.

Getting some diatom action.

Reworked my rock.

Added some chaeto to the fuge.

This weekend I plan on a 10 gallon water change, try to get some sand and rubble in the fuge.

DSCF3230.JPG

DSCF3231.JPG

So thats why they make the Finnex 20 Gallon M Tank in acrylic now. Im happy that I got a acrylic version since I heard that your glass one cracked. I would be SO SO pissed if that would happen to me.

30 Gallon I was about to get too. Nice tank.

So thats why they make the Finnex 20 Gallon M Tank in acrylic now. Im happy that I got a acrylic version since I heard that your glass one cracked. I would be SO SO pissed if that would happen to me.

30 Gallon I was about to get too. Nice tank.

Actually the acrylic has been out alot longer than the glass... the glass types came out after... and were sold simultaneously with the acrylic tanks. They discontinued the 20 glass due to the shipping issues.... (glass cracking etc..)

Just did a small water change, more diatoms today, so that's good.

I'll monitor the ammonia, nitrate this week and maybe add some cleanup crew next weekend.

I'm thinking of getting 2 Koralia powerheads for this tank.

Would you recommend two of the 400 gph nano versions or maybe two of the 600 gph units? I'll mainly be keeping zoas, and LPS corals.

TECHNICAL SPECS

MODEL FLOW RATE

KORALIA 1 400 GPH

KORALIA 2 600 GPH 4.5 W

KORALIA 3 850 GPH 6.5 W

KORALIA 4 1200 GPH 8.5 W

koralias are also pretty big.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...fm?pcatid=15955

i would say 2 x k2 isn't overboard for your system. the k1s would be fine too and are slightly smaller.

the k-nano is pretty small, but only 240gph.

try going to an LFS and checking them out (if you haven't already).

MY PICK: 2xk2s

what's your return pump?

Currently it's the stock pump that came with the tank...450-475 gph I believe. I've got a Maxijet 1200 in there right now, but it's a pretty brutal flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to my friend's house and nabbed my skunk shrimp and a few coral frags to put in the tank.

Full Tank Shot.

DSCF3301.JPG

DSCF3295.JPG

Candy Cane

DSCF3290.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Getting lots of good coraline now.

Brought my clowns home. They seem to like the red macro I'm storing in my display for a friend.

DSCF3333.JPG

DSCF3339.JPG

DSCF3348.JPG

Is 3 weeks enough time for going from dead rock to enough live rock to filter that much life already? I'm just curious because your rock still looks pretty not-alive?

Archived