Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

I kept this BC14 running for over one year...

angle1_800.jpg

...but I needed something a little more!

So allow me to introduce my new RIMLESS 25G 18 X 18 X 18" ADA CUBE:

FTS Taken on 03/08/2008

030808fts.jpg

There has been some restructuring since the unfortunate redbug attack of 2008...

FTS as of 08/29/2009

082909_fts2.jpg

TANK SPECS UPDATED 07/14/2009

Filtration/Flow

• Modified Tom Aquatics overflow w/ aqua-lifter (NEVER flooded)
  • AquaC EV-120 Protein Skimmer
  • 14G Rubbermaid Sump w/2000GPH return pump, *limited to 1000GPH by extended return line.
  • 14G Rubbermaid Frag Bin
  • With the TWO 14G bins plumbed together (4x heavy-duty bulkheads), the overall system has roughly 40 gallons of water volume.
  • Koralia Nano (1 in display + 2 in frag bin)
  • Koralia 1 (display)
  • MJ600 (frag bin)
  • MJ1200 (sump), pushes water into frag bin

Lighting

• AB Aquatics Pendant: 250W, SPS BLUE LIFE 14,000K DE; ON between 6am - 3:00pm
  • Coralife Hang-on above frag bin: 150W, Phoenix 14,000 DE; 2 lighting cycles in a 24hr period; ON between 4pm - 8pm and 4am - 8am
  • Last bulb change, April 5th, 2009 SPS BLUE LIFE; June 5th, 2009 Phoenix
  • LED Hang-on Moonlight

Misc

• 6-Stage RO/DI unit + 2-Stage DI Add-on
  • APC Smart-UPS 1500: Emergency power supply ~Integrated on Dec 18th, 2007
  • 1x ReefKeeper Lite
  • 2xs "RC-4s" (power strips for RKL)
  • 3x Power Strips
  • 4x Light Timers
  • 2x Honeywell Desk Fans
  • 2x IceProbes, plumbed into 14G bins
  • 2x 50W In-sump heaters

Maintenance

• Water Changes: 5 gallons weekly using SeaChem Reef Salt w/ extreme caution to temp/params/salinity
  • Evaporation Control: 5 gallons via ATO every 2-3 days
  • Calcium: B-Ionic Calicum 15ml every day
  • Alkalinity: B-Ionic Calicum 25ml every day
  • Iodine: Lugol's Iodine 1 drop every other week
  • Magnesium: Kent "Tech M" 10ml every day
  • SeaChem Reef Plus: 5ml added every Wednesday (discontinued 02/28/08) re-continued 06/2009
  • Amino Acid: Elos A.A., 2 drops per day

Feeding

• OysterFeast
  • RotiFeast
  • PhytoFeast
  • Cyclopeez
  • Mysis (occassionally)

Testing

• API: Ammonia, Nitrates, Phosphates, Alkalinity, Calcium
  • Elos: Magensium
  • SeaChem: Silica

Corals: To be tracked and referenced here at a later date...

Blueberry Gorgonian Frag Dec 26, 2007; Physical Check-Up Feb 25th, 2008 RIP as expected :(

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here's how it all began...

emptyfront.jpg

I decided to go with this tank because of its frameless design. Shows more ocean and less tank! For the past 30 days, I've been contemplating the filtration - custom overflow, outside canister, drilling it for a closed loop, etc, etc. Ultimately I've decided to go with RENA's new hang on the back filter, along with Fluval's Surface Skimmer. The reason being that I wanted the tank to be as self-contained as possible, without the need for a sump. (as you will find out, I quickly changed my mind about this!)

surfaceADA.jpg

The ADA design allows filling the tank to its rim for a real slick look.

Today I added 35lbs of live rock.

frontADA.jpg

Installed a Fluval Surface Skimmer for $14.99. Works wonders for taking skum off the surface.

surfaceskimmer.jpg

The unique thing about this tank is that it allows viewing from ALL FOUR SIDES:

FRONT

frontADA.jpg

LEFT

leftsideADA.jpg

RIGHT

rightsideADA.jpg

BACK

rearviewADA.jpg

What are you going to light it with?

Funny you should ask that. I REALLY DON'T KNOW YET! I'm leaning towards a pendant type Ocean Light 250W HQI - Aqua Medic AB, but I don't know if that's the best choice. Got any ideas? I'm planning on keeping mixed LPS/SPS if my filtration proves to be sufficient.

A 250w HQI pendant would be perfect for a LPS/SPS tank. I think you might even be able to get away with a 150w HQI if you weren't going to stock too much SPS.

I like the Aqua Medic series b/c their pendants are relatively small. If you were to go with a 150w HQI, check out the Coralife Advanced Aqualight (HOB version). They're pretty nifty and would probably fit your tank nicely. Only drawback is you would have to reposition the filter or perhaps find a new filtration unit as the HOB light would take up the space along the back glass panel.

Helfrichs Chick

OMG I just peed my pants. :D

Seriously sweet!! I didnt even know ADA made that size, its really awesome. I say take the filter off thou, run that puppy naked! Thats the same skimmer I have and it rocks. I run the filter on mine when I do WCs to help clear it up but honestly it stays crystal clear. Totally interesting in watching this thread. Congrats on the new tank, if its anything like your other one it will be fricking amazing.

A 250w HQI pendant would be perfect for a LPS/SPS tank. I think you might even be able to get away with a 150w HQI if you weren't going to stock too much SPS.

I like the Aqua Medic series b/c their pendants are relatively small. If you were to go with a 150w HQI, check out the Coralife Advanced Aqualight (HOB version). They're pretty nifty and would probably fit your tank nicely. Only drawback is you would have to reposition the filter or perhaps find a new filtration unit as the HOB light would take up the space along the back glass panel.

Thanks for the advice, Sushi. I was thinking a 250w would allow me to hang it a few inches higher up. I actually have the Coralife hang on for my other tank and it's too heavy to be mounted on the glass. I'm almost set on a pendant, but my ceilings are higher than normal so I figure the install will be tough. Also, my wife warns that if it starts to look like a science experiment, I'll have to MOVE IT.

OMG I just peed my pants. :D

Seriously sweet!! I didnt even know ADA made that size, its really awesome. I say take the filter off thou, run that puppy naked! Thats the same skimmer I have and it rocks. I run the filter on mine when I do WCs to help clear it up but honestly it stays crystal clear. Totally interesting in watching this thread. Congrats on the new tank, if its anything like your other one it will be fricking amazing.

Thanks Helfrich. Seeing the success of your tank has made me consider MORE THAN ONCE about going completely filterless. I'm thinking I'll probably remove the filter after the tank has matured a bit. Yeah, this tank is going to take much more time to fill up. Might start with smaller frags and have them do their own thing for a while. I rushed the other one and now it's bursting at the seams. You'll probably see some of the other coral in this one soon enuff.

What to do? what to do? There are endless possibilities with 4 viewable sides...

Wow!! SWEET tank Randy :D !!! I knew you were up to something lol!! seriously, That's a very nice tank, i cant wait to see what it will look like in a few months! keep posting. BTW the black sand is like the icing on the cake!

NICE TANK! DOES THAT SURFACE SKIMMER HAS ANY OTHER WATER ENTRANCE THAN THE TOP ONE? CAUSE IT WILL BE A PROBLEM WHEN EVAPORATION LOWERS THE WATER LEVEL AND THEN YOUR HOB FILTER RUNS DRY.

NICE TANK! DOES THAT SURFACE SKIMMER HAS ANY OTHER WATER ENTRANCE THAN THE TOP ONE? CAUSE IT WILL BE A PROBLEM WHEN EVAPORATION LOWERS THE WATER LEVEL AND THEN YOUR HOB FILTER RUNS DRY.

Yeah, the skimmer acts as a buoy by floating just enough to allow surface water to be pulled through the pipe. There is another inlet at the bottom of the device which also takes in water, without putting any additional strain on the hang on pump. As water evaporates, the surface intake self corrects and lowers accordingly. So far so good with this thing. It makes the system act much like an all-in-one tank without bio balls and a protein skimmer. Hopefully, it proves to perform the same way.

very pretty tank, didn't know that they make a tank with that dimension. Where did you buy it from if you dont' mind me asking?

Thanks

Thanks Patty/Capt Nemo. Compared to my little BC14, this 25G is very classy and spacey but still a nano! I bought it directly from Aqua Forest in San Francisco, CA, where they showcase KILLER freshwater displays. Here's their site:

http://www.adana-usa.com/

I believe they are one of the few distributors for Aqua Design Amano here in the US. At first I purchased a tank with different dimensions, but when it was shipped it arrived with a TINY hairline crack. Didn't want to take any chances so I drove 120 miles to pick up this one in exchange. This was $230 but they have rectangular sizes for $150 or less.

Here's a top angle shot. After owning an all-in-one, I think plain and topless traditional tanks are really the way to go. We mod our AIOs until they're completely stripped of all stock parts anyway! So far this setup has only cost me $325 plus tax. Add the rock and sand for another $120. A 250w HQI pendant will run me $289. And a slick black RENA heater might cost $30. All-in-ones are cheaper at first but we end up spending hundreds more with all the upgrades. With that said, I'm buying a 24G JBJ all-in-one to replace my BC14 b/c I like the integrated rear chambers for my ATO, heater, etc ;) so AIOs do have their advantages.

topangle4.jpg

Can't wait to stock this puppy with crazy bright zoas and acropora frags.

BTW, patty, I still owe you some frogspawn.

YES!@#! I ordered this light today. Hopefully, the suspension cables run long enough for my ceiling height. It's a Ocean Light 250W HQI - Aqua Medic AB with a 20K bulb.

post-27594-1192209783_thumb.jpg

i got a couple of questions, first what is ADA, everytime i saw ada i thought they just mistyped aga... lol

second, where can i get that tank?!

Aqua Design Amano. You can buy it directly from www.adana-usa.com. They were sold out of this one though the last time I checked. I believe there is another online wholesaler as well.

I think that is a Cool filter system you chose, it blends right in with your tank. Where did you get the skimmer?

I think I'm ok with it too. At first, I was worried about damaging the original look of the tank, but it's really not that bad since you can still view the tank from the backside. I bought the skimmer from my LFS in Sacramento (Aqua Workz), but if you look online and search for "surface skimmer" you'll find a bunch of em.

Here's something you don't see everyday...

ammonia.jpg

2nd day after introducing uncured live rock. AMMONIA. AND LOTS OF IT. Today, my tank could kill a fish quick-style.

Added some dead branch rock from my unsuccessful office tank to tie it all together. There are now some nice intricate caves throughout, and plenty of spots to anchor colorful corals. I took the following pics in B/W to help me better visualize what happens NEXT.

FRONT

frntside.jpg

LEFT

lftside.jpg

RIGHT

rtside.jpg

BACK

bkside.jpg

If it could only be covered with coralline NOW.

purpleside.jpg

i got a couple of questions, first what is ADA, everytime i saw ada i thought they just mistyped aga... lol

second, where can i get that tank?!

ADA tanks are very big in the freshwater planted tank world. The guy behind the ADA company really put a name with the whole rimless, aquascaped, planted tank scene.

I'd go to plantedtank.com and search amano or ADA.

here are some examples, I am sure you will recognize the style once you see it.

ADA Gallery

Ada Gallery 2

Also check amazon.com out and search for ADA or Amano or Nature Aquarium. He has a series of books out which contain his photography of his tanks. ADA= teh BMW/Rools Royce/Bently of the planted tank world(A lot of the products are over priced though for what you get).

Also interesting, is that most of the gallery pictures you see show salt water reef tanks that have been scaped, but I haven't found any FTS of them(you can even see them in the ADA product magazine you get when you purchase products and they also have reef products too, but alas no detailed pictures of his saltwater work).

Archived