ReefCleaners.org

Vannreefer's 120RR

VannReefer87

VannReefer87

I always wanted to set up a big tank at my parents place while I was at school but never got the chance, my parents always wanted a tank but didn't think they could do it. So I told them I would def. help out and set-up/maintain and care for their tank. Well, they ended up buying a tank and had me look over all of the specs:

-AGA 120 RR

-AGA Oak stand/canopy

-CL Aqualight Pro Retro

-ALS 250 sump

-Blue Line 70HD pump

-Bermuda BPC-3 Skimmer

-Aqua Medic 500w heater/controller

So this weekend I came home to finish the tank up for them and help set-up the rocks (spent 5hrs at LFS on Saturday picking them out :roll: ) Here's the initial pics!

Straight View

IMG_0613.jpg

Left Side View

IMG_0614.jpg

Right Side View

IMG_0615.jpg

Angeled FTS!

IMG_0617.jpg

Any comments/criticism welcome.

Looking good! I especially like all of the arches. I am always waiting for the day my parents decide to do the same and ask me to set them up a nice reef :D

VannReefer87

All of the rock work is very stable at the moment fingerscrossed ...this tank is going to be a mixed reef for sure...LPS, Softies and a few SPS frags here and there...

shaggydoo541

Lookin good so far. I can't see a couple of your pics but that could be because of my work internet. Do you know there stocking plans? Is all the equipment already purchased because I would make a few changes but that is just me.

All the equipment was already purchased and installed...I'm pretty happy with everything right now. The lighting wasn't my choice, but I made some changes and it all seems to be working well.

What would you have changed out of curiousity? Anyway...My baby hippo tang (not really a baby anymore) will be going in this tank for sure, a red sailfin tang, a couple fairy wrasses are my choices. A pair of clowns is what my mom wants for sure (I'm gettin her some onyx). Corals will be mixed, a little of everything. I'm gettin a calc reactor and AC Jr to help manage some things for them.

Sounds good. I like mixed reefs and you should be able to set up a nice one with the aquascape you did. It will look really good covered in corals. I would have made a few minor changes. I'm a t5 nut so of course I would have got t5 for lights and I wouldn't get a skimmer. But those are just my crazy ideas ;) I would also do 2 250w heaters instead of one 500w. This is mostly a safety issue with me as I don't like the idea of a bad heater causing a lot of trouble... a little redundancy with heaters can give a little peace of mind and its not expensive to do this (only costs a couple extra bucks for 2 heaters versus one larger one). I think the calc reactor is a great idea too but I wouldn't worry about adding one until your coral stock gets heavy in the LPS, clam, or SPS region (mostly clam and SPS). Keep us updated.

I agree my lighting isn't the "best" I too like t-5, I wanted to do Ice cap t-5 retros and 2 x250's but I'm not looking to generate that much heat yet. I agree about the heater, I too would have gone with 2x250's rather than 1x500w but my parents already bought it. Its a good quality heater so hopefully no issues will ensue. The Calc reactor won't be hooked up for a while, need to get a CO2 tank and all that fun stuff yet. Luckily for me I work at a pretty big Saltwater Reef Shop so supplies and livestock aren't hard getting a hold of, and yes I will be updating this thread often as this tank moves along. Thanks!

Right now there is a Coral Life Aqua Light Pro Retro fit...its 2x150w DE MH's and 2 96w PC's I think. Enough light to do higher light stuff on the shelves and just enough to keep shrooms and lower light stuff down towards the bottom on the sand. I'll be upgrading to 250w MH's soon enough though. Or adding in some t-5 HO's.

added my first livestock to the tank this weekend, this includes:

-a mini school of 7 Blue/Green Chromis

-25 pacific nassarius snails to be sure the sand doesn't get too compacted

After 4 days everything has been looking good and eating well. Algae seems to be blooming so its time to get some Scarlet hermits and trochus/turbo snails in there!

i would give the chromis lots of cover, in groups/schools they will kill each other off when there is no SPS corals for them to hide in, i would of went with a school of cardinals instead (which i am lol) mostly for the fact that they can coexist in peace and not kill each other off

i love the rock work but i would be worried about that shelf piece all the way to the right hand side, it looks to be barely hanging on there

but besides that everything is looking good

Here's my 2 cents, although i like the rock work, I feel that if you don't glue, epoxy or run acrylic rods to hold it together its a recipe for disaster, burrowing fish will dig holes under them as well as starfish and it will come tumbling down, When i do aquascaping now I firmly push all rocks through the sand bed till they are resting on the glass. If propping acrylic rods are a must.

• 2 weeks later...

well...quick update...tank if now cycled...so picked up a clean up crew last week and added some fish this weekend...

Livestock now includes:

7-Blue Green Chromis

-2 Squarespot Anthias

-1 Venustus Angel (Freaking awesome fish)

-30 nassarius snails

-10 Turbo snails

-25 Mexican Red Leg Hermits

All seems to be doing well, the angel is the only thing that hasn't eaten yet, just added today though, and is picking at the rocks like crazy.....I'll get some pics next time I'm home to see my tank :(

p.s.-arch on the right side, was repositioned a bit and is now very stable :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, we'll this weekend I took down my college reef tank, and put the clowns and yasha goby in the 120. I also picked up a nice lokani table acro from my LFS (Something Fishy) and a show size Tri-Color Frogspawn from a friend of mine in the hobby.

Also, a blonde Naso was added.

Here are the updated pics!...My 37g WILL be coming down over Thankgiving Break!!

Blonde Naso

IMG_0649.jpg

Female Clown upclose

IMG_0656.jpg

Some Corals

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

Frogspawn :)

IMG_0654.jpg

Frogspawn under atinics only

IMG_0665.jpg

Frogspawn under moonlights :twisted:

IMG_0668.jpg

Angel Eye under atnics/hungry

IMG_0664.jpg

FTS as of now.... :roll:

IMG_0661.jpg

Would've taken more pics if my camera didn't die :(...oh well...enjoy

just bought a AC jr. hoping to get this thing as automated as possible to help the rents out when I'm at school...Now I just need to find a nice Calc. Reator! I'm thinking a K2R should do the trick...

Alright well, update time.....The Venustus Angel is finally eating!!

Picked up an pipe organ coral and discarded the mushrooms in my tank....

Also picked up pair of Picasso Pairs!!!! Pics of them chilling in a QT tank....

OyersPIcassoClowns004.jpg

OyersPIcassoClowns002.jpg

OyersPIcassoClowns003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here are some updated shots, they were taken as I was walking out the door to drive back to school and the LPS isn't happy because I just got down moving them all :angry:

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Current Livestock:

-7 Blue Green Chromis

-Male Squarespot Anthias

-Blonde Naso Tang

-Hippo Tang

-Pair of Osc. Clowns

-Black Saddleback Clown

-Coral Beauty Angel

-Venustus Angel

-Golden Angel

-Yasha Hasha Goby

Corals:

-Various Micros

-Various Acans...Australian/Bowerbanki...etc.

-Lokani Deep Water Acro

-Tyree Solee Table Acro

-Neon Green "Embryo" Acro

-ORA Roscoe Frag

-Yellow Monti Capricornis

-Tri-Color Val. Acro

-Pipe Organ

-Pink Blasto

-Red Blasto

-Various Zoas

-Mushrooms (soon to be gone)

Inverts: