Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Luk3s 12g AP *new stuff w/pics*

Luk3

Well today i ordered my Aquapod 12g online, i also ordered a SP meter, a master test kit, and enough insta ocean salt.

When my tank come (hopefully next saturday) Im going to put 12 pounds of fiji LR, and 15 pounds of argonite fine grain sand.

After my cycle i hope to get the usual CUC along with a cleaner shrimp, some zoa frags , feather duster(s), frogspawn, and mabye even a xenia. For live stock i only wanted 3 fish, a red scooter blenny, my girlfriend thinks they're adorable, and one or two false percs.

Of course im not adding these at all the same time but i was just telling everyone what im planning on doing.

I have a couple questions; 1) does anything of this sound bad or wrong if it does please tell me anything is helpful. 2) What does everyone think about 2 false percs in a 12g? Is that to much. and 3) if its alright should i add them together and one is supposed to be a little bigger than the other right? and 4) anenomes dont do well in such a small tank because they are aggressive and they sting other corals so i wont get those but i like to watch clowns swim around and play in things , so i heard that flase percs like leathers more than things like frogspawns or other things.

Sorry for all the questions but im pretty new to this and this is my first SW tank, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hopefully i will add pictures once start to come in

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all there are some things you should do to the AquaPod 12 to get it working well. One is the standard pump that comes with the AP12 is not strong enough (160 GPH) and runs too hot (11.5watts). I have the same setup and as to other advice purchased the MaxiJet 900. It runs at 8.5 watts and pumps 230GPH. Also there is a heat issue with this setup, I am unsure why they do not change it as everyone seems to have this problem. You will notice two vents on top. The one on the right has a fan pulling air out, the left side is just a vent with no fan.

Here you see the two fan vents. The one on the right is the only one that comes with the fan, the other side I had to buy a fan and put it in:

tanktop.jpg

Also on this top view you notice a new fan in the front left corner there. Even with both fans pulling out, having an apartment at 75-80* I needed something to push air over the water. This also helped because there was condensation forming on the hood without that fan.

Here is a picture of it from below:

fan.jpg

Those two fan mods are pretty needed. The ones on top in back run only when the daylights are on. The fan I cut the hole for and put in the front runs 24/7 to keep constant air flow. I also installed an ATO unit to keep up. There is a lot of evaporation with fans (which is good) and the ATO keeps the unit stable.

Keep us all updated with pictures when your setup arives!

Thanks for the tips, yeah ive read alot about over heating with the AP. about the two fans you put in yourself did you make them blow out of the tank or into.

Also could recommend a good ATO, thats not to expensive.

I am not sure about the perc. I have 1 damsel. I have the JBJ ATO unit which was on sale for $89.99 at Dr. Foster and Smith... I would also invest in a good refractometer if you are new. I JUST got one and found my tank all along has been at 1.031 with my hydrometer. Things have all lived just fine, but I am now slowly bringing it back down to 1.026.

The two fans on the back I have pulling out. I also cut out the little strips in between on the fan grate to promote airflow. The fans pulling out just draw air outthe lighting compartment so the more the better with that. The one fan I have on the front blows IN, this is designed to keep a "breeze" moving over the water which helps a lot in regulating temperature.

well my 12g aquapod will be here tomorrow. I bought 20 pounds of aragonite fine sand (only using about 15 pounds) and i also have enough insta ocean salt, i also have a MJ900 to replace the stock pump, and im going to get a hydroflow later on. I'm not going to put LR in yet until i mix my salt and run the pump for a day or so. I had a couple of questions.

Im going to put in the sand and water tommorrow, Can i mix the salt directly in the tank or i should i mix it in buckets and if i mix it in buckets can i use the stock pump to mix it or the MJ900 and when im mixing it and im just supposed to add salt at small increments until the SG is at or as close to 1.025 as i can get it right? Also when i do put LR in and start cycling it what lighting cycle should i use 10-12 hours of white and actincts then lunar at night?.

One more thing im looking into a ATO system but it might be a while until i get one of those so i was wondering when everyone else tops off their 12 gallon tanks, like every week every other day, and what is a good water level, ive read on NR and lots of people have different water levels. is there any landmark on the 12g AP that i can kind of set my water level at?

Sorry for the long post

Again thanks for any answers and any and all help is appreciated

Im going to work backwards here a litte bit... The AP12 has a min. water level and a max, I keep mine pretty close to the max. I would premix a few gallons of salt water in a bucket to start. Then what I would do is fill the tank to the minimum with fresh water. Now mix salt (will bring the water level up some) in the tank. Read the instructions... usually just put 1/2 cup salt a gallon to start, measure, and then add salt from there. I have a mixing stick. So mix up to the min. line in the tank, then after a day and SG is 1.026 add LR and the cycle begins. I put some big peices in first. Then I added LS around the rock. Then I added smaller peices on top of that. During the cycle mix in the bucket of unused salt water as you pull old water out. Then once its stable start adding everything else and there you go! I would add a fan to front and pulling from lights first though.

Well my tank came in and set it up. I put in an MJ900 in there mixed my sand and my salt. My SG is at 1.022 because on the Iinstant ocean box it said to be at 1.022. My tank has cleared up and im adding LR today

oh i forgot about the temp. Thanks for saying something. I dont have thermotmeter yet im getting one when i get my LR. Ill add some more salt

oh i forgot about the temp. Thanks for saying something. I dont have thermotmeter yet im getting one when i get my LR. Ill add some more salt

put it at 1.025 anyways, box is wrong

Alright my water temp is at 83 (a little high because there has been 6 people in here an d i just aqauscaped and di work on the fan so my room temp went up to 85, but it is going back down so everything will be alright)

I just added my live rock my SG is 1.025 on the dot :)

I did have one question that i could really used answered, do LR need to be on a light cycle to cure?

Alright my water temp is at 83 (a little high because there has been 6 people in here an d i just aqauscaped and di work on the fan so my room temp went up to 85, but it is going back down so everything will be alright)

I just added my live rock my SG is 1.025 on the dot :)

I did have one question that i could really used answered, do LR need to be on a light cycle to cure?

I would get the light cycle going, some people tell you to leave it off a few days. 83 is too hot for sure, that needs to be much lower. Also 1.025 on a hydrometer might be really higher or lower, have your SG tested at the store and compare. You really need to get a refractometer, they are costly but are a must in this hobby, a truly great tool!

Alright well i turned off the lights and left my fan running so everything is cooling down nice.

Heres my aqauscape, this was the first time i have ever done it and this was my first attempt so any comments are appreciatedpost-31219-1192320310_thumb.jpg

temp went down to 80 SG is at 1.026

Lights are still off

Did you end up installing any of the other fans in the hood? I was just wondering how the lights are off but the stock fan is still going.

Again, the SG could be way off if your using a hydrometer. It might say you are at 1.026 but I did it with a hydrometer at 1.026 and then when I checked with a refractometer and the store I was REALLY at 1.032 which is not good indeed.

Not fan in the tank my room fan. And im going to add the other fans tomorrow or whenever i get the little fan.

What do you guys think of my aquascape

Thanks Alot :D

Yes I agree it looks great. The beginning is the learning curve and you go and do this and that to get it working right, but I got the AP12 and now that its all set up, I don't need to do anything to it. Once a week I spend 5min. changing 2 gallons of water out.

Archived