Cultivated Reef

jsw 24x24x18

jsw

So I've been planning this out for a while... Things are finally starting to come together.

The tank was done before the stand, so please pardon unfinished business down there. Another Envision acrylic tank on the block. 1" acrylic braceless. She's gunna be a beauty.

new4.jpg

• 7 months later...

Yeah, I'm really happy how everything turned out. I had a local metal fabricator (who's a reefer too) build the stand for me. It turned out exactly how I wanted.

Building up my plumbing list right now. It's going to be a combo of black flex-pvc and sch 80 pipe + fittings. I'm going with a Herbie overflow. It's going to be quite an upgrade from my current tank.

• 1 year later...

That's a nice build, I like how clean everything is. I'm worried about that herbie backup drain though, looks like it may be cut too high to handle the full flow if the main drain gets blocked. Might just be the angle of the pic though.

Thanks all

That's a nice build, I like how clean everything is. I'm worried about that herbie backup drain though, looks like it may be cut too high to handle the full flow if the main drain gets blocked. Might just be the angle of the pic though.

I tested it and the 1.5" can handle the 600gph where it's at, but I agree with you and am probably going to lop off a little more. And the herbie drain is pretty much silent -- I can now highly recommend it. Surprisingly this tank is quieter than the BC29 it's replacing.

Still contemplating if/how I want to skin the stand.

I'm hoping to keep this tank simple with one perfectly placed show piece and everything else as supporting actors. Something artful. We'll see though. It's so hard at the LFS when everything is calling your name if you know what I mean :P

• 2 weeks later...

Still need to clean off the tank a bit and wire the light back through the hanger, but the tests are showing the cycle is finished. It's at 3 weeks now with partial cuc and a little diatom growth.

CigUU.jpg

PO0KR.jpg

pf4w1.jpg

Diatoms have taken over now. Did a 40% or so water change a couple days ago.

I moved the three fish I have over from the old tank. The clowns and wrasse seem to like the extra space.

Equipment list for those interested:

- Eheim 1260 return pump

- Coralvue 400w eballast

- Lumenarc mini reflector + Reeflux 12k bulb

- 2x Vortech MP40w (not sure if I'll use both yet)

- Stealth 150w heater

- H&S A110 skimmer

- Neptune AquaController Jr.

I used Reef Crystals salt to start things out. Running SG at 1.026. Temp fluctuates between 75-80.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice. As long as you can design the sump with a very clean layout, I like the look of open stands. It gives the tank an industrial look and reminds me how much machinery and equipment is needed to sustain the little cube of water overhead. The defining factor that determines if it looks good is how clean you keep it; it's almost like having to maintain another tank down there. Are you planning SPS for the tank? If so, two or three fully grown colonies would look great and unique. It would be different from the tanks full of frags most reefers have (myself included!)

That picture looks a bit cluttered under the stand right now with two skimmers, but I like the open stand.

That's exactly what I wanted to do with a couple SPS colonies. I suffer from frag tank syndrome too, but hopefully not on this tank. I'm going to try to cover the front right rock with three encrusting monti's and one digi -- right now I have a setosa, sunset and undata on the rock. I want to get a superman digitata to stick up out of the encrusting corals to finish that rock off.

Three SPS colonies on the big rock sounds about right. I know I want on of them to be an Oregon Blue Tort, but I'm having a heck of a time picking others. I had a really awesome branching cyphastrea colony. That would have been awesome, but I lost it in my other tank. I don't know I'm still trying to figure it out... I'm open to recommendations.

As for why it took me so long... I do have another reef tank, so I wasn't tankless, but I did take it really slow on this one. I think part of it was laziness and not being real sure on what direction I wanted to take it. It's exciting to get started on it now though.

• 1 month later...

Here's the work in progress. The cycling of this tank was nasty. Lots of cyano and other funk. Working on coral placement and getting things stable with the dosers.

XgHNc.jpg

I didn't like the SWC skimmer, so I went back to a bigger H&S.

7FuAP.jpg

oO thats a neat stand. I have been meaning to do smthn like that to hang T5 fixture with adjustable height. You have a shop drawing or sketch for the stand? What type of steel and size of HSS? Thanks.

oO thats a neat stand. I have been meaning to do smthn like that to hang T5 fixture with adjustable height. You have a shop drawing or sketch for the stand? What type of steel and size of HSS? Thanks.

Wish I could tell you what kind of steel it is. It's 1.5", powder coated and it's heavy. I did a design in sketchup and had a local fabricator build it for me. I don't have the sketchup files anymore though. Nothing fancy about the design though. It's 24x24x36. Adjustment bolts on the bottom. And the light hanger is just a big hunk of steel bent and drilled for a dry mount.

Archived