Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I'm tired, I'm so tired, help me please!

spanko

"What are you tired about Spanko" you ask?

Well even if you didn't here is what makes me tired. And this just came about recently. My biocube 29 gallon is now about 9 months old. It is doing great. The requisite fishes and corals all of which are a hodgepodge of different things that I have come to like.

Rockwork is a wall of sorts.

I am tired of it. I am tired of islands of rock. I am tired of valleys of rock. :rolleyes::rant: :rant:

(couldn't find a whiney butt smilie or would have used it too)

"So what Spanko, who gives a rats patoot" you say?

Well to get down to it finally I like the look of reef shelves. Those areas of the reef where the bottom is completely covered with a layer of rock on which is attached monti cap, acro, and varied encrustiing SPS.

Like this:

reefshelf1.jpg

And this:

aussie_reef.jpg

And the first but mostly the second picture in post #15 in this thread. The second one is what got me to thinking.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...39;s+Experiment

So my question to you all, what would you think would happen if I took all of the nice but mismatched (as far as where they are normally located in the wild) corals in my tank out, took all of the sand out, save the rock but spread it out across the entire bottom of the tank leaving spaces in between for flow and whatever small fish reside on a reef shelf like this to swim through, covering about 1\4 to 1\3 of the way up the entire bottom. Maybe even far enough up to cover the bottom sump inlet. Then start to add Monti caps and Acros and encrusting type corals that research would tell me (after I did the research of course) live in this environment. Now knowing already that this type of reef shelf has the most turbulent varied flow on it I could make this will a couple of Koralia's and not worry about blowing sand all over.

Anyone think this is doable and have some critique and suggestions about it?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

sure its do-able. i went very much the same with the rock in my system (although i do have a small amount of sand.) i dont keep the same corals, but i did go from a 30 tall rock wall to a 30 laid flat on its back (kinda sort)

the footprint of my aquarium is covered in rock.around the edges i've placed some bigger pieces to build my aquascape up alittle.

i dont think you'd want an entirely flat shelf unless you plan on view the aquarium from above. instead i'd slowly taper the shelf up as you get further back. it will allow you for better viewing but will also give you some ajustment with the distance of corals from your light.

IMG_6048.jpg

IMG_5929.jpg

sounds like a great plan, although i think you could find a better suited aquarium for the look your after. i went with a custom 24x24x12" (37ish gallon)

I've always wanted to set up a nano miniaturizing certain photos of reef structures I have seen. The problem lies in available space or, more prudent, getting a tank with proper dimensions for what you are trying to re-create. I would think a low but wide tank would be better suited for your attempt at re-creation/minaturization.

If it were me, in order to recreate that effect, I would go barebottom but only sparsely put LR in. Then, I would put all manner of plating SPS on it and watch it fill in. Even though from those pictures it looks flat, its not. The corals have just plated so much that they've filled in the gaps between the rocks.

I would also set the tank up as icy suggested, to view it from above. Doing this would make the corals appear much brighter and much more realistic. Make the tank wide and shallow so the corals reach the surface quicker to give off your "shelf" look.

Thank you Icy and Ray. Icy your second pick is along the lines of what I am talking about. I see your point about tapering a little but I don't know yet. Also do you have any fish in that secon pic? In some of my limited research so far it looks like for the size of my tank Damsels are the way to go. I am okay with this because that is the only fish I would keep and I think there are some really beautiful small ones out there that I could 4 or 5 of.The flat look of those pics of shelf reef I posted is what intrigues me the most. I realize that in my tank it would be a very small core of the pics but I think for experimentation I may be willing to try it. If it works out maybe down the road getting a larger tank. Some of the Pomacentrus get to 3.5" only, still looking up others though. Here is what I am using for research on what to have in the tank: (charts at the bottom)http://www.aims.gov.au/monmap/sectorpages/clI.htmlOh Vic you beat me to the post. Thank you for your input also. Good idea on keeping the rocks to a minimum and letting the coral fill in. I wonder what a cross section of one of those pictures look like as far as the base the coral are growing on? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

that aquarium has lots of fish in it, but keep it mind, its connected to a much larger system with more than 1/2 of the 100g dedicated to macro's. it gives me alot more room to play with when it comes to bioload. getting a shallow tank with a larger foot print will also give you alittle extra space for little fish to dwell.

my 37 houses 3 dart fish/fire fish. 2 purple- 1 standard. 2 high fin gobies, 2 perc's and 2 mandarin.

Some day, when I get my camera back in order(and clean the corraline off the glass.) I'll snap a pic of one of my NC 12's. I did something similar to what you are intending(though mine wasn't intentional.) Basically, I have one large piece of LR smack dab in the center of the display area. I do have 3 fist sized pieces under it(just to prevent a large dead area, as you can't see much of the small pieces.)

Mine wasn't set up from any pic or idea, it was solely for a pair of clowns and a RBTA. Well, it was great.... Now, unfortunately, I have 4 RBTA's and most of the corals have been torched by them. The clowns love it though. They have their choice of condo's to spend the night in. Funny, momma doesn't like daddy spending the night with her.... Typical married couple.

Archived