Phosphate: 0.1ppm

Nitrate: 0.2ppm

Nitrite: undetectable

Ammonia: 0ppm

Status Log

12/03/09 - Porcelain Crab pair arrive 2

11/18/09 - New Giesemann Infiniti lighting installed

3/05/08 - ELOS Tank Videos

2/28/08 - Ventralis Anthias and Trimma Cana Debut!

2/10/08 - First 5 Frags Added

2/04/08 - ELOS Filter Socks and Mg Test Kit

12/18/07 - RDSB Now Online

11/28/07 - OceanVision black background

11/20/07 - Lighting and Rocks!

10/18/07 - Flow at last!

10/17/07 - Filling with RO/DI Water

10/15/07 - RODI Setup + Other Updates

10/12/07 - Tank on Stand

10/11/07 - Aquactinics Lighting Ordered

10/08/07 - ELOS Sump Setup

10/04/07 - Unwrapping the ELOS Sump

10/04/07 - ELOS System 120 Arrives!

10/02/07 - TECO SeaChill Arrives

9/20/07 - Stand In Place

9/11/07 - SoCal Stand Update Pictures and Shipping update

9/11/07 - SoCal Stand Build Completed

9/05/07 - SoCal Stand Update

9/04/07 - Tank Leaves Italy for the US!

8/28/07 - Custom Stand ordered and Lighting decisions

8/23/07 - System 120 Ordered

8/23/07 - Lighting Ideas

Description

The years it's taken to finally get to this tank has really paid off. I went through almost four different tank setups to finally get to this beautiful ELOS System. I've been playing around with acrylic tanks, having awesome companies like SoCalCreations craft together the coolest setups ever, but finally after incarnations of my dream tank, I've finally found the one. For this tank, it will be very simple, but very functional. Every component will be extremely high quality, but I won't spend on items that just add some fluff. Below in the setup you won't see too many odds and ends, just the essentials to keep it safe and easy.

Setup

Display Tank

ELOS System 120 - 48" x 20" x 20" [ 1 | 2 ]

Crystal Low-Iron Glass (4 sides)

Braceless with Beveled

Black Silicon

Internal Corner Overflow (dry)

Sump

Trigger Systems custom Ruby ELITE (pix to come soon)

Old:

ELOS Sump 1000 [ 1 | 2 ]

Topoff Water Resevoir (8g)

Skimmer Chamber

Skimmer Return Chamber

Refugium Chamber

Stand

SoCalCreations Custom - 48" x 22" x 36"

Oak Wood - Dark Cherry Stain

Double Doors

Removable Center Bracing

Lighting

Giesemann Infiniti 48" 2x250watt DE MH + 4x54watt T5 see it here

Flow

Eheim 1260 Return

2x Vortech Pumps @ 3000gph each

Filtration

Bubble King 160

60lbs ReeferRocks and MarcoRocks

BulkReefSupply double GFO/Carbon Reactor

Control

AquaController III

2x Direct Connect 8

ELOS Topoff System

LiterMeter III dosing pump for auto water exchange (4 gallons per day)

Bubble Magus 3, doses Alk only for now

AirWaterIce Typhoon III RO/DI

Eheim Jager 250watt Heater

TECO SeaChill TR10 1/8hp Chiller

Livestock

Fish

Sanjay Black Photon Pair

6x Blue Green Reef Chromis

2x Barlett's Anthias

Coral

ORA Hawkins Echinata

ORA Ice Fire Echinata

ORA Pearlberry

Pink Lemonade

Aqua Delight

Shades of Fall

+ a ton more

Invertebrates

100+ Trochus Snails

6x Nassarius (tonga)

4x Mexican Turbo

1x Tuxedo Urchin

1x Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

Edited by kinetic

Ordered System 120 Today - [ 8/23/07 ]

I decided to start my new build thread with the ordering of my new system. After working with Jesse at ELOS to find the perfect system for me, I officially ordered my ELOS System 120 today.

It will be coming with everything, except the stand. I will be putting together a design with SoCalCreations to come up with a really awesome stand to match the ELOS System. Reason? Even though the ELOS stand is top notch and looks fantastic, it really isn't my style. Plus it's kind of on the shorter side. I will be working with SoCal to create a 36" tall stand for this tank. I'll try to order it by Monday so that it will get here on time.

I will be taking delivery of the System 120 sometime mid September. In the meantime I will prepare all the equipment.

Lighting System Ideas - [ 8/23/07 ]

To save money on halides, I will only be running a Maristar Pendant with 1x250watt HQI and 2x24watt T5. A lot of you are saying "WAIT! But the tank is 4 feet long, you need at least two!"

That's where the Light Rail 3.5 comes into play. I will use this rail to constantly move my pendant left and right throughout the day. The motor is a 6rpm motor, and can hold 35 lbs. I'm pretty sure it will be able to hold the Maristar.

It is very quiet (or so they say), and would be even better than running 2x 250watt halides since it's less power consumption, half as hot, and distributes the light very evenly.

The thing that will suck is, it's gonna be annoying to watch it move back and forth all day, and when you turn off the rail, part of the tank will be much brighter.

On top of that, I will be building a "stealth box" around it, so you don't see the ugly motor and metal rail on the ceiling. It's going to be a long box which the rail and motor can just fit into, so that you can't see it from the sides.

Paint it white like the ceiling, and there's no disgracing the beauty of the Elos Rimless tank ;)

Edited by kinetic
link? I couldn't find it.

Nevermind: http://stores.ebay.com/Sun-Light-Supplies

Pretty good deal for the 36" Maristar. I might sell my 24" and get that 36" and not worry about a light mover.

Kinetic

I've heard of them before but never really seen one of their tanks so I went over to their forum.....I'm so jealous.

Yeah they have top of the line tanks! No messing around. Every component is of the highest quality. Plus the customer service is really awesome.

Edited by kinetic

I would do it because not only is the light mover about 200 dollars just imagine if you wanted to see the entire tank and just stand back and look at it you wouldn't be able to because of the light. With the light rail it would be like missing the channel on TV guide and having to wait for it to come by again

if you read closely they dont come with ballast or bulbs =(

The maristar doesn't, its something you always have to add. Reefgeek.com and you'll see what i'm saying.

I think I'll go for the AquaMedic 36" Oceanlight MH/T5 Combo. It's like half the price of any other 2x250+t5 pendant, and comes with lamps, and ballast. Plus Nikon's coming out with the new D300!! I have to save up for that =X

awesome system you have planned. can't wait to see pictures of the build!

I'll definitely be posting every step I take putting this tank up. It shouldn't be too hard, since Elos systems are known to be as "turn-key" as larger systems can get. But there will be some modifications of course, and additions.

I'm super sad today, my clownfish jumped. He was my first fish ever, and has been with me since the beginning. I've had a few gobies die on me before, but never my clownfish. But man, you don't realize it until it happens, how amazing clownfish personalities can be.

I'm going to really miss that guy.

I'm going to definitely get a group of clownfish for this tank and see how they do.

=P I'm so sad.

was it the boy or girl? i really liked your pair... so sad =(

it was the smaller guy. =(

I think I will try to go for an anem + a group of clowns for this coming tank. I'll probably wait 6 months after cycling to introduce the anemone, then the clowns.

do you know when theyre coming out with the 300?

I JUST got the 200 too, what bastards!

i hate innovation and advancement, it always makes me feel like i overpay for everything

i have the light rail on my 6'x3' prop tank and its good for that but i wouldnt recommend it on a display

i got mine off ebay used for only ~120 i think it was

they are quiet but you can still hear the motor hum

also, even if the railing costs 200 think of the electric costs and another bulb replacemet cost youd be saving by running the rail instead of 2 lights, thats the main reason i went with the rail

Dude, awesome and well thought out as usual. You have a knack for creating these very nice systems. Just make sure you PM me when you upgrade again - so I can buy your current setup :)

Stan

i like the system 70... too bad i can afford it...... the elos tanks are shweet!~

Keep up your schoolwork, and one day you'll be afford any tank you want ;)

do you know when theyre coming out with the 300?

I JUST got the 200 too, what bastards!

i hate innovation and advancement, it always makes me feel like i overpay for everything

i have the light rail on my 6'x3' prop tank and its good for that but i wouldnt recommend it on a display

i got mine off ebay used for only ~120 i think it was

they are quiet but you can still hear the motor hum

also, even if the railing costs 200 think of the electric costs and another bulb replacemet cost youd be saving by running the rail instead of 2 lights, thats the main reason i went with the rail

200 300? What model numbers are you talking about? I'm confused =X I might have missed something, though I've been working for 18 hours straight now with a glass of kenwood 2004 cabernet in my system, haha.

Yeah the more I looked at the rail, I think I'm going to go with a Current USA 36" Outer Orbit MH/T5 combo. The specs are pretty sweet, though current usa isn't the most top end of lighting. 2x250watt w/ 10K HQI lamps, 2x39watt 420nm and 2x39watt 460nm T5, plus a ridiculous 9 white moonlights and 9 blue moonlights.

Anybody have experience with this fixture? I'm going to hang it with my yo-yo hangers =)

Dude, awesome and well thought out as usual. You have a knack for creating these very nice systems. Just make sure you PM me when you upgrade again - so I can buy your current setup :)

Stan

Thanks for following my threads =) I probably won't be upgrading for a few years now. This is definitely a dream tank, the best I've put together yet. Not one thing about it erks me =) But hey, i'll keep you in mind just in case ;) just don't jinx it!

lol i think you should of went bigger...either way elos tanks are extremely nice i just dont understand how they stay together with pretty much a thick piece of double stick tape keeping them together lol

lol i think you should of went bigger...either way elos tanks are extremely nice i just dont understand how they stay together with pretty much a thick piece of double stick tape keeping them together lol

I have no more room to go any bigger =)

They stay together with silicon. I'm not sure where you got the tape from? They use about 5x as much silicon as any other glass tank maker, giving their seams a ton of silicon. They even use glass as a snail guard to keep snails / urchins from chewing on the silicon.

i hope i do i would really love to transfer to a 4 year college after high school (i like UCLA+CAL, and a few others that arent in cali)