ReefCleaners.org

Death to Bryopsis

davenia7

Placed in advanced bc I don't think this should be done half-hazardly and not until all other avenues have been exhausted.

So, I just finished with a little experiment.

You see, I've been battling an ongoing battle with Bryopsis in my 10 gal. nano.

And with undectable levels of phosphates and nitrates... I was ripping my hair out.

So, after lotsa online research I read of a few peoples' success with Magnesium addition to control bryopsis. Supposedly Bryopsis can not handle Magnesium levels around 1500-1600 like other things in the aquarium.... It's like it's Kryptonite.

So, after dosing my tank with 10 mL daily for a week... the bryopsis has literally fallen apart in the tank. And to make me happier... Everything else in the tank is thriving with the added Magnesium.

My Chaeto has gone CRAZY!!!

I'm having to trim it every 3-4 days...

This has me very happy and I just wanted to share my success, especially since I know a few of you are battling the Bryopsis too.

Note: The standard GHA growing on my snail's shell is not affected, just the Bryopsis... so if you're battling GHA, there seems to be no help with this method.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup this works. do a search in RC and there is a huge thread with this method not long ago. multiple people have confirmed and were able to reproduce this consistently. interesting enough, no other algae or corals are affected by the high mag, just bryopsis. and the best part, there is no report of bryopsis coming back after the treatment.

:bowdown:

I've abandoned this board because of this algea. It's even killed my coral. My tank has been 'shut down' with only my clownfish bobbing around, diminishing coral and more algae. I pray this works. fingerscrossed

I did the 3 days of darkness and it worked pretty well. All of my corals looked awesome when the lights came on as well.

:haha:

I've had rocks in complete darkness for about a year...the algae stayed nice and green. I think my liverock came from the depths of hell.

I've literally tried everything...expect this. I instantly ordered the magnesium, and if it works I'm marrying the OP. That's all.

I know! I can't wait to see my pocket book drain again!

:mellow:

But really, I just added it, and I'm impatient. The directions said 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons twice a week. For how long should I keep that up? I don't want to overdose.

the directions are probably to maintain proper level of mag, in your case, you need to overdose and shot it up in the range of 1500 - 1600 and keep it there for a week.

did you check out the thread i posted above? the guy who did it saw bryopsis disappear as soon as day 2. and by the time it progress to day 4, the majority was dead.

• 2 weeks later...

:angry: ya know, you could have mentioned to use kent

well, I don't know if that's the problem, but I haven't had much progress. I thought I saw some of the tips turning white, but I'm not sure. No massive melting. I'm gonna get kent.

btw, the supplement I added was powdered. Kent is liquid, there's probably a major difference between the two. I also need a test kit now because I don't want to OD too much, just a little.

I used Kent daily by bottle directions and it went away on day 5

:angry: ya know, you could have mentioned to use kent[...]

btw, the supplement I added was powdered. Kent is liquid, there's probably a major difference between the two. [...]

uh, she did.

kent's mgcl and mgso4, not sure their ratio but those should be the main mg components. what was the powder you used?

Yeah well, I didn't know it had to be kent. Apparently in the thread, the people who weren't having luck may have been not using kent -_-

I used seachem, they're more like crystals. I feel uncomfortable about dumping it in until I get results, so it looks like I'll need a test kit. No worries, if it ends up working I don't mind spending any amount.

You all need to get a Mg test kit before you screw your tanks up... willy-nilly dosing of Mg isn't very smart.
true dat. but this is the "advanced" forum! we're invulnerubble heres! B) muahahahaha!

meh, this is a radical treatment approach for bryopsis anyway. kinda like chemotherapy for a reef imo. reefsrule knows what he's doing. he's not a noob. ...i think. :unsure:

and you said "willy". hehehehehe :P

One of my best friends was having a severe magnesium deficiency in his reef about a month ago. He started by using the Seachem, but after almost a week straight of dosing, the Mg levels in his water barely went up. He switched over to Kent Mg and withing a week was seeing good results. IMHO the Kent is either more consentrated, or more easily soluable (sp?).

Archived