ReefCleaners.org

Research for Pinched Mantle Disease

ezcompany

foreword to Chris Marks: I believe this is a worthy enough cause to post here, so please forgive me if this goes against any forum rules.

Pinched Mantle is probably one of the leading causes of clam fatalities. Up until now, its causes are still widely unknown.

evans_clam.jpg

Quote from Barry of ClamsDirect:

As most of you know that ClamsDirect has been working on this problem of Pinched Mantle for some time and continue to do so.

Over the past several weeks we have collected from various places/hobbyist and from LFS some specimens that appear to have this problem so this coming week we are sending approx. 10 Tridacnids to

Aquatic Animal Health Lab in Maine which has agreed to help us with some lab work.

Over the past several years we have kept some good records from people like yourselves in hopes in finding a common denominator which we have not found. One thing that I still lean toward is that this protozoan, if that is what it is, is present but acts like ich on a fish, when stressed will become present.

Hopefully in the months to come we will have more information and will be passing it on.

Below is part of a letter that I received today regarding the on going research that I have started approx 18 months ago. ClamsDirect has paid a few labs in the past for additional help but can not continue this on my own. The lab now that we are working with has agreed to donate their time but the hard expenses must be paid. If anyone wishes to donate to help us continue this work, you can pay pal to barry@clamsdirect.com and indicate, Donation of Pinched Mantle Research . We of course will keep good records of payment and money spent. Our goal is to raise 2500.00. Anyone who wishes there name be posted as contributing, we will be glad to do that. Also any company that contributes will have their business name and amount posted as well.

"At this point in time, I'm checking in with you to see how much further, cost wise, you'd like us to pursue this infection/disease. Again, I wish we didn't have to charge anything as this is a truly interesting case but we do need to cover our own costs as well. DNA testing for an exact ID will likely cost between $100.00 to $200.00 depending on the number of 'primer sets' that have to be used before identification. I can assure you that we will work to keep things as frugal as good science allows.

The bigger question is if you would like us to work on therapy options for this parasitic infection. It's possible that we could look for a small soft money grant to do this but know that it then becomes the public's domain. Just quickly roughing the costs out, I believe the overall project would cost around $2500.00 based on maintenance of animals, materials used, therapy trials, and confirmation diagnostics. We would be willing to contribute our time at no cost. Are there any other ornamentalist dealers, such as yourself, that might like to join in with this project? "

here is the clamsdirect link http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1982

The paypal donation address is: barry@clamsdirect.com

Please indicate Donation of Pinched Mantle Research in the subject.

please include in your notes that you are from n-r.com :)

thank you for your support in this worthy cause! Every penny counts!!

My guess is crabs. :D But seriously, being a clam owner now, I could perhaps donate to the cuase. Speaking of, did you catch my PM on a clam related question?

i dont see ur name yet bro :lol:

Still debating on how much I should donate. Maybe I'll donate under the SoCal Nano Reefers moniker. -_-

Archived