Cultivated Reef

my ap24g

modularduck

so it begins, i have been for some time looking, researching, lurking, chating and the like and low and behold the fiance buys me an AP24g for my birthday, or should say ordered. though she was smart enough to find one of my obcessive list and get pretty much all i needed. YEY me! so i recieved it 2 days ago from Dr.FS and was a bit concered that mine may have been broken of cracked in shipping, to my relief it was not. unfortunatly i was unable to play with my new tank untill today. i ad to build a stand for it and took me awhile with getting everything i needed. today i left work early to finish up the stand so i could get everything going. i unpacked the tank again and set to work on changing the stock pump with an MJ900 with hydorFLO and removed the bioballs and ceramics as well. i put a 100w stealth in and put the stock pump back into the tank on the back wall for extra flow untill my other MJ900 arrives. then i hooked all the lights and everything into a coralife digital timer. still need to zip tie all the wires and put inside wire loom but that will get done tonight! i have a question now also.

1. anyone have any thoughts on weir set up?

Pics will be up this weekend!!!!!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so got my rock today only 17.5 lbs but a good start for cycling will get some more next week after new stuff is done curing at LFS. got new bulkhead to finish mod for another MJ900 to be installed. now begins the waiting game but im just happy it has begun.

dang thats some nice rock dude

thanks i spent about 2.5 hours today diggin to find some really unique pieces and hopefully with all the purple cycling time will be shorter... :P

anyone have any thoughts on turning back chamber into a fuge? i have seen some post here about doing it and wondering how well it works.

Alright Turning the back into a fuge is very easy if you can easily get to the back. all you need is a razor blade to peel the rubber stuff off the back and a light. quy did it to his 12g AP and it looks preety sweet.http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96939&st=0 If you wanted to for more flow you can take the MJ 900 and put it in chamber # 2 or 3 and drill a hole to make for a second return for some conflicting current.

SCR

Alright Turning the back into a fuge is very easy if you can easily get to the back. all you need is a razor blade to peel the rubber stuff off the back and a light. quy did it to his 12g AP and it looks preety

Well thats about as simple as it gets! nice! Thank you.

So today is officially day 3:

all the particulate from sand and rock placement is now totally gone and the rock looks pretty darn good. i spent a good deal of time just looking at the rock today. lol (funny inmage of guy with intense look stairing at rock for hours) i noticed all sorts of fun little things, a couple of snails fairly small, dime sized, wandering around. not sure of there type will post a pic if i can get a good one. also all sorts of little what look to be featherdusters of some kind with white tubes they come out of! pretty cool some red macro growing out of the back of one rock. lots of purple. checked the water today:

PH 8.4

SG 1.023

Alk 7

Nitrite 0

nitrate 0

Nh3 0

temp 79.2F

not sure what it all means on day three but i will watch carefully.

a couple of pics ffrom today:

DSCF0625.JPG

DSCF0628.JPG

Average Temp at the great Barrier Reef 85-87

hear in lies one of the issues i see and that is aren't you supposed to run your tank a bit low as heat build can be very dangerous? and occur quite quickly?

i go like 77 hmmm interesting. Well i was wrong thanks for correcting me guys :)

i think if i had a choice thaats whered id be too at 77, thats what its at overnight with the lights off, but in the small tanks its kinda hard to keep it there steadily

day 6

no major changes to water parameters other than a small decrese in temp. temp is now 77.6 and holding steady. i added another 3 lbs of LR in a couple of small pieces. i also noticed what im guessing is the beginning of my bloom as there is a great deal of brownish green algee begining to grow on much of the rock. is this what it is? i hope so. still have alot of great purple will post new pics this weekend.

nope not yet this weekend and i will take pics too.

i also really like to thank lgreen for all the excellent noob question answering! many humble thanks...

new pics up this weekend.

Looks like you're off to a good start! ...sounds like you've got a diatome bloom going, which is expected and won't last long.

I kept all the weir pannels in, and ditched the sponge.

My rear chambers hold an extra pump, bio-bale and some carbon. I didn't bother to set up a "chamber fure" in the pod. Those things are a waste of space imo.

Keep posting!

Looks like you're off to a good start! ...sounds like you've got a diatome bloom going, which is expected and won't last long.

My rear chambers hold an extra pump, bio-bale and some carbon. I didn't bother to set up a "chamber fure" in the pod. Those things are a waste of space imo.

Keep posting!

i like 81-82

Keep posting!

does the tank stay clear without those sponges?

sound like you are off to a good start i am setting up a ap wiht 150hqi right now as qwell ,,i personaly went wiht the aquaclear 70 and turned it into a fuge ,,only went wiht 1 900 for return and 1 900 in the tank ,,will later start putting in 6024's.

if you have the 150 hqi ,,i am using a honeywell little turbo fan from wally world and that keeps my tank right at 77.9,,i am getting ready to put in a tunze nano skimmer ,,anyway hope you can get some use out of the fuge info ,,keep the pics coming and i will start posting some soon so i can show off ,,,

modularduck

thanx guys or the help and info. last night i noticed a small kind of light blue starfish only about the size of a nickle, any body have any thoughts, i guess i should taek pic and post , it had seven arms if that helps. also bloom has moved to the sand now and is starting to gain speed. crazy kind of to me that in a weeks time all the changes that have taken place in my little tank. i am wondering though when i should think of putting some snail and hermits in? as soon as bloom is over? whats strange is i did water tests again last night and found them to be normal they were

temp 77.8F

cal - 400ppm

alk - 7

SG- 1.023

Ph - 8.1

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 0

NH3 - 0

is it possible that the changes are so small they are untestable?

modularduck

so last night after having chatted with lgreen i headed down to my LFS and was going to get a xenia to start out the tank. the guy there was cleaning out a tank to make room for a new display and some how i ended up with a xenia, a small piece of frog spawn, 3 turbos, and 3 nassarius all for $15. was a bit unsure about the turbos as 2 of them are pretty big but i can always take them back and for basically nothing i wasn't going to complain. i also noticed another small starfish lastnight, and was amazed at how florecent the small bit of frogspawn was. pretty cool stuff.

Archived