inTank Media Baskets

Coralife Super Skimmer mod

jamesnmandy

just wanted to share, have had my Coralife SS 65 for a few days now, now that it seems to be broken in pretty good i decided to do a mod to the output to stop the microbubbles that the stock "bubble diffuser" box was not doing any good at stopping, so i ripped it out and did as seen on this site

http://www.tylermerrick.com/content/css_notes.php

all that is required is a foot or so of 1" PVC, 1" PVC "T" fitting, and one 1" end cap

i found a Pondmaster brand Mag Drive prefilter sponge at the LFS and assembled it as shown in that guys pictures...it did greatly reduce the bubbles but not "100%" as he states, so i took three layers of poly-micro fill that comes in thin sheets and wrapped it around on top of the mag drive prefilter and used a plastic tie strap to hold it in place and wow....i have practically zero microbubbles coming from the output on the skimmer and it did not create too much backpressure

on my 65 model i closed off the vent hole on top of the output by cutting a 1" piece of small air line and melting one end shut and slipping it on the nipple since the 1/4" hole drilled in the end cap on the modded output replaces it, stopped the occasional water drips from the vent hole

pics of it on my setup here

DSCF1352.JPG.xs.jpg

DSCF1353.JPG.xs.jpg

DSCF1354.JPG.xs.jpg

DSCF1355.JPG.xs.jpg

works great! not as ugly as that stupid diffuser box that came with it, and costs less than $10 to do (and that was being forced to buy a 5 foot length of 1" PVC)

nice clean mod... looks so much better than the "bubble diffuser" that was supplied

yep, thats what i liked about it, nothing permanent, completely reversible if necessary, less in tank, nicer to look at, works 200% better, and cheap.....great mod!

so great i actually got to thinking i would build 10 or 15 and sell them to the LFS to sell along with the SS 65, see if i could make a regular thing out of it....it just works so well

if one were going for the slimline look and didnt mind the microbubbles, they could use the prefilter only, but even with three layers of polyfill over it it's still smaller than that obtrusive box

No need to play with all that tube. Just get an elbow and a pice of tube or use the tube that came with it and install a foam sleeve over it from the pond master line of pumps. I have had mine in use now well over a year or mopre without the bubble diffuser boxes that they come with. I used the foam sleeve right from the start, and currently have 6 CSS skimmers all going just fine without any diffuser boxes, just a foam sleeve.

• 2 years later...

i found that if i don't have the pump more than 3 inches under water i get no bubble back into the tank even if its just a straight tube back to the tank. I also added an airline valve to restrict air to the venturi tube to get smaller bubbles. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.. Thanks for this great mod.. I know its a couple of years after you posted.. but those pics don't work.. I'd love to do this to my skimmer.. but would also love to see the pics ?

How can i get them ?

Thanks

RONNY

Archived