ReefCleaners.org

VannReefer's 10g Seamless College Reef

VannReefer87

Well, being at college for 2 years now has made me realize how much I miss having a tank in my room, so I've decided to leave my mantis shrimp at home in the care of my younger brother and endeavor into a tank that I've dreamed of doing something cool with since I bought it last summer It's a Jalli 10g tank, with seamless corners...it came with some PC lighting but I modded them and used it over my 2.5g mantis tank. So here are my plans:

Equipment:

-16.5'' 70w Sunpod

-AC 70 (converted to refugium)

-Rio Nano Skimmer

-MJ600for lateral water movement

-figured the HOB equipment will provide enough flow, but if not another PH will be added.

-Tom's Mini Canister filter (running chemipure)

-Corallife Digital Thermometer

Live Stock:

-2 Picasso Percula (one is captive bred, other is wild caught...very cool!)

-a micro colony

-a couple acan frags

-some SPS frags

-8lbs of nice LR and 10lbs LS

-various clean up crew (nass. snails, 1-2 Astrea, 4 scarlet reef hermets)

Let me know what you think, it'll be set up this weekend when I pick up the lights and rock, pics will follow soon after!

-VannReefer B)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Helfrichs Chick

YEA Picassos! I wanna see!!!!!!!!!!! How the heck did you find a wild caught one??? I have never heard of that. Not fair to tease us with description and have to wait to see the pictures! sad0002.gif

haha, I aquired it from a good freind of mine who is really into clowns. He actually breeds them. He picked it up a few years ago, I might have one pick of it....let me check! :)

Ok, here she is....and I'll post a pic of the male below her. B) Both pics were cropped a bit so I could zoom in a bit ;) O yeah, any suggestions on a coral that the pair could host in because I don't wanna get an anenome because they get big and I don't want them messing with my SPS!

post-19347-1171310689_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1171311120_thumb.jpg

I think I'll be naming the male jigsaw and the female amanda from the Saw movie series

I think I'll be naming the male jigsaw and the female amanda from the Saw movie series...o and does anyone have any ideas about what corals to keep them with that they can host?...I wanna do SPS in the tank so an anenome is out. Suggestions?

do you think I could put a small colony 2-3 heads of frogspawn or torch on its only littly island at one end of the tank...and will be clowns still pair and be happy w/o something to host?

Frogspawn might work, thats a stretch, or maybe frilly mushrooms. Even if you did have a bunch of stuff for them to host in, Ive heard of some peoples clowns hosting their powerheads. Its really luck.

I know frilly mushrooms get big, I have them. Their also stuck on a rock that I cant get out w/o tearing up my whole tank. But anyways, Id say frogspawn is probably your best bet for a host other than an anenome, but dont count on it when your clowns start hosting your upper left corner.

ok welll....there is a slight change in plans, I couldn't obtain the one mate for my picasso, so I'm going to have to hold off on that pair for this tank :(, but my LFS did get in 4 australlian black oscellaris that are wild caught and I have a pair on hold for me. So it looks like they'll be going in this tank! :)

ok welll....there is a slight change in plans, I couldn't obtain the one mate for my picasso, so I'm going to have to hold off on that pair for this tank :(, but my LFS did get in 4 australlian black oscellaris that are wild caught and I have a pair on hold for me. So it looks like they'll be going in this tank! :)

I am really curious to see how you like the rio nano-skimmer. I am thinking of getting one and I know 30 dollars is not a big loss if it is worthless.

Alright here we go, I got the tank set up with everything in it, changed some of my equipment specs above as needed as well as some new editions:

1-Tom's Canister Filter (running Chemipure for extra filtration)

1-Coral Life Digital Thermometer

Mcarr: the skimmer actually seems to be working even though nothing is in the tank yet (just LR and LS, etc.) But it is producing bubbles up the chamber and I got some very light skim in 24 hours.

And heres the tank pics and set up,

Alright here we go, I got the tank set up with everything in it, changed some of my equipment specs above as needed as well as some new editions:

1-Tom's Canister Filter (running Chemipure for extra filtration)

1-Coral Life Digital Thermometer

Mcarr: the skimmer actually seems to be working even though nothing is in the tank yet (just LR and LS, etc.) But it is producing bubbles up the chamber and I got some very light skim in 24 hours.

And heres the tank pics and set up,

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

post-19347-1171856693_thumb.jpg

So, I calculated my flow, its around 460GPH which is about 46x turnover for this tank. Does anyone think this won't be enough flow for SPS?

everything sounds good. if i remember correctly, the only reason for having super high flow with sps is when you have huge colonies and the extra flow is to penetrate the deep mass of branches.

tank looks great btw, the only problem with your plan is that one little cave/crevice area is calling for a bta ;)

thanks travis,

I know, I really like that little hangover deal I've got goin on there, I still wanna do a Nem, but so afraid of stinging my SPS, maybe I could put a nice Acan or micro colonony in there, or a big frogspawn frag. Ahh idk....

After thinkin about it, will this tank have too much flow for the clowns?? I don't want them getting stressed out. I wanna keep bioload low, so maybe just one fish, I love mystery wrasses and cherub angels, but I think they may get too big for the tank. What do you all think about the situation?

Archived