Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New 46g bowfront tank!

flick

Hey guys! :)

I got permission from my parents to turn my current 36"x15"x18", 46g bowfront cichlid tank into a SW tank!!! :D I had a 15g in my room, with 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 green chromis, clean up crew, live rock, and all that stuff. I sold the tank :( Worst decision of my life! So, i got the bug again, and am selling my 12, F2 Ps. Saulosi cichlids to make the tank saltwater. Below are pics of the tank i just took a few minutes ago, as well as the exact rock im getting. A fellow reefer is selling 40lbs of crushed coral, and 35lbs-40lbs of live rock to me for ONLY $130!!! :D Here are piccies! :)

His tank was 24"x12"

113_1324.jpg

113_1314.jpg

113_1313.jpg

113_1325.jpg

Im uploading the tank pics right now, ill edit them in ;)

Flick :)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! :)

I just saw your 46g bow, and all i can say is I LOVE IT!!!! :D :D :D Sooo stunning! For a fish list for my tank im planning on:

-1small yellow tang

-1 ocellaris clown

-2 green chromis

-possibly 1 cleaner shrimp (im paranoid of fish getting ick)

Here is the tank now. Im selling the 12 F2 saulosi's to a great fish guy very shortly. And am getting the salt tomrrow, selling cichlids within the week, and getting the rock and sand next wednesday :) I LOVE taking pics so no worries, there will be updated pics daily i bet lol. I CAN'T WAIT!!! :D

When you walk in front door

IMG_1718.jpg

low view

IMG_1715.jpg

surface (notice great aggitation)

IMG_1712.jpg

side angled

IMG_1711.jpg

FTS

IMG_1707.jpg

Nice view

IMG_1705.jpg

another nice view

IMG_1703.jpg

View from ledge

IMG_1719.jpg

View from stairs

IMG_1720.jpg

Im sooooo excited im allowed to do this! Im doing it all with my own money (i pay for all my pets, their cages/tanks, food, toys e.t.c.) but i didn't think my mom was going to let me turn my biggest tank SW... Guess i was wrong! :D lol

Sweeet!!! :D

I found a super nice smaller pet shop, where im getting 2 bags of 50g Instant OCean salt (i LOVE this stuff..used it on other tank) for ONLY $17.99 each bag!!!! Thats $20 per bag, and $40 total! Where as in the other shops, the cheapest i can find are $25.99 per bag, and that equals out to $59.00!!! :D :D :D So im saving $19.00! I love getting amazing deals! And cleaner shrimps are only $29.99 at my LFS so i want to get ont of those to prevent, or save my fish if they get ick...im soo paranoid of they get it! So ill have a stocking list of:

-1 yellow tang

-1 clown

-2 chromis

-1 cleaner shrimp

Thats a nice, peaceful, colourful mix that would look AMAZING!!!! Lots of variety, colours, action going on. Then once the t ang gets big swap him for a new baby... :)

Flick

UPDATE:

I got 2 bags of Instant Ocean salt, Plankton food, and tubifex worm food for ONLY $41.00 TOTAL!! :D :D :D Such a nice store, the bags of salt were only $15.00 each!!! I got in touch with the guy taking the saulosi cichlids, we are meeting him during this week sometime! So the fish will be gone! :) Then i'm getting the rock and crushed coral late morning on saterday!!! :D So, the tank will be officially setup by saterday evening! :)

Since i'm getting cured live rock thats been in an established tank for a while, as well as crushed coral thats been in a SW tank for a while aswell, but then again all new saltwater...how long do you think my cycle will be? With my 15g, all new salt, sand, rock e.t.c. it took 10 weeks...I know you wont know for sure how long this cycle will be, but do you think it will be longer, or shorter then 10 weeks?

*Note to self*

I still need to buy the fallowing items before i setup the tank:

-RO water

-test kit

-hydrometer

The after its setup, i'll need to buy:

-Clean up crew (few weeks after, how much and what species do you think ill need for this 46g FOWLR tank?)

-fish (yellow tang, 1 clown, 2 chormis) but not for long time...

firstimereefer

Dont get the hydrometer, go with a refractometer. You can get them on ebay for around $30 and it is well worth it ask anyone on here. I was so unhappy with my hydrometer. I would still let the live rock and crushed coral cure for a couple weeks in your tank. Post pics as you get them, and move the tank to somewhere where you will enjoy it more, I have mine right next to my living room couch.

I used a hydrometer last time...worked great :P lol

Yes ill let the tank cure still, obviously! lol. I just think/HOPE it wont take as long as last time :( lol

Naa i like main hallway! I sit on floor and watch it. Nice centrepeice when you walk in. Nice greeting 'ornament' and i like how its on tile, so if i drip water, it will mop up, and its also better flooring, as well as it wont ruin carpet :D

I'd still get a refractometer there are many great reef shops in the gta you can pick one up for a good price at one of them.

Cured rock should not have as much of a cycle. Is the guy far from you? Try not to have it out of the water very long if possible.

What kind of skimmer are you running?

The guy is 45min from me, but we are transporting the rock, and crushed coral in buckets, and a big rubbermaid container. I am also getting 18g-20g of water from his established tank, so that will get the tank cured faster! :D I talked to the guy on the phone tonight. We have offically set up a time of 11am to pick this stuff up ! ! ! :D :D :D Only $130, im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!! Rock, and substrate looks great! Do you guys think im getting a good deal? Or.. (40lbs fiji rock, 40lbs crushed coral)...

No skimmer. I didnt have one in my last tank, and it did fine with regular waterchanges, powerful powerheads (at water surface, and in mid tank region), and a HOB refugium with sand, and LR peices ;)

The rock looks nice in the pictures, but just so you know you have a lot of other options besides Fiji. Sure it will cost more but Tonga is really nice, Indo, Jarkarta and Vanuatu are all readily availible in the gta. Not sure where in ontario you're located. I have a bit of fiji in my tank, but mostly tonga and I'm glad I didn't go with just fiji. It's the cheapest but certainly not the most unique. You are only getting 40 lbs so you can always add some different show pieces later and have the fiji on the bottem.

45mins shouldn't be a big deal. I know you're planning on getting a tang, I'd really recommend a skimmer since you will have a high bioload it will be a lot harder to maintain then a nano. Also maybe this is just my bad luck, but even though your levels will probably be all zero pretty quick with cured rock wait as long as possible to add the tang. I added a blue tang to my 112 gallon shortly after it was cycled and he quickly died / took other fish with him from ich / velvet. Cycled does not mean matured.

ok thanks for advice man! :)

Im in Guelph, an hour east of Toronto...

I made a skimmer for my nano, and i used it for like 3 weeks...out of a bottle, a aireator, and a coleection cup ;) How much are skimmers. I know they are a lot, any cheap places??? OR good ones, or ones that are ok for my tank??? I want to get a cleaner shrimp posisbly..to clean fish if they get sick, and to prevent ick, im PARANOID of fish getting ick! lol. Is there anything i have to add to the tank to have a cleaner shrimp? Like additives, special lighting, e.t.c?

What fish list would you get for my 46g bowfront FOWLR tank: (when i say clown i mean ocellaris, false percula)

Option #1

-1 clown

-1 green chromis

-1 coral beauty

-1 cleaner shrimp

Option #2

-1 yellow tang

-1 clown

-2 green chromis

Option #3

-2 clowns

-1 chormis

-1 coral beauty

I still think i like option #2 Plus its the cheapest :D lol...

Personally I wouldn't do a tang in a 46g or any tank that wasn't at least 4 feet long but that's me. I know you've already decided you want one.

Mississauga is a little closer and you will find 2 great reef shops there, Reef Raft, and Where's the Reef. Both are run by super knowledgeable guys who are more interesting in helping you then taking your money. Oakville Reef Gallery is another good shop. Much better then any big al's or chain store, or any fish store for that matter. While you may still need to get your fish other places they have great selections of live rock and equipment.

Their websites all suck but you wont be dissapointed with any of their stores.

Again, I wouldn't do the tang, but it's your tank. You do know that you're not necesarily limited to just 3 fish don't you? I've got 5 in mine and I don't feel it's overcrowded at all. As I stated in the other thread, I've got:

2 Chromis

1 Ocellaris

1 Coral Beauty

1 Lawnmower blenny

From your list, I like option 1 or 3. Even though I love my CB, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a Flame. I was wanting a flame originally, but the wife wanted a CB. I guess you can tell who won that argument! ;)

Mel

Thanks Mel! :)

Got a any pics of your tank??? Id LOVE to see it :)

I like that fishlist very mucjh!!! Im now leaning towards:

-2 chromis

-1 clown

-1 coral beauty

That equals $91.13 from my best fish shop, Big Als ;)

I want the chromis becuase of they are peaceful, and colourful. A clown becuase i had 2 before, and i LOVED them, then a coral beauty becuase i want a fish that goes in the rock and eats the stuff of...which is why i wanted a tang, as i like how the graze. It looks so cool watching a fish go in and out of the rocks :) More natural, which i like. Instead of another fish would would pace the front of the tank :( What other fish could i get? I was thinking of a six line wrasse? Could i have a CB, a clown, 2 chromis, and a sixline in a 46g bowfront tank?

I sell the 12 Ps. Saulosi's tonightat 7pm!!! :D :D :D Then when i get home around 8pm, im going to empty the water, sand, and rocks from the 46g tank. Scrub the walls with a scrubber, make sure its as clean as possible :) Then pour in 25g or so of RO water, turn the big powerhead on full blast, add the salt, heater, check salinity, and let it mix overnight, all friday, and then Saterday at 11pm were collecting the crushed coral, and the live rock :) I will add the crushed coral slowly, and gently into the tank to not stur it up too much. Then add the live rock, then add the 18-20 gallons of water the guy is giving me from his tank so there is less die off, and my cycle will be VERY fast :D Im sooooooooooooooo excited now!!!! :D I LOVE setting up a tank, but ESPECIALLY a saltwater one. I love the live rock, its so nice to setup, and try and create a ocean in your tank :) I love trying ideas, and thoughts on where to create caves, ledges, islands, and other nice ways tp place the rock to make the tank look as big, and workable as possible!

ps- I'm not sure, but i like the fish list of:

-1 green chromis

-2 ocellaris clowns

-1 small yellow tang

Flick

if you like yellow you could do a lemon peel angel or something of that sort. As far as a Skimmer goes you could get a Coral Life super skimmer for cheap, or an excalibur, just look for used ones around the forum. Skimmers usually never go "bad" just the pumps need to be replaced/cleaned out good so there is no reason to get a new skimmer if you can find a good condition old one. You may want to try 3 green chromis too, as I've read they do better in odd numbers.

Thanks Vann! :) Lots of info!

I will look for a skimmer, might as well. I will get a false lemonpeel angel if that shop has one near the time i will get the biggest last fish (tang, or angle of some sort). I LOVE false Heradli (lemonpeel) angels! I saw 2 at my LFS a few months back, and i was in shock hwo such a gorgeous fish is soooo perfect! To be honest, i like them more than any yellow tang ive ever seen. Plus as i mentioned, i like the look of a natrual fish. Meaning i like the ones that i can picture snorkling, going in and about the rocks, like the lemonpeel was doing in the tanks. Very active, colourful, gorgeous shape, perfect size, peaceful, and very well suited for my 46g tank :D

UPDATE:

So i just went and got 17gallons of water from Culligan for $47.97 in total. However, when i take the jugs back i get $30.00 back. Therefore i only spent $17.97 for 17 gallons of RO water! :D I think its great! My mom got ###ed off, and is mad at me for 'throwing' $10 away as she thinks i could have done 10 trips with only 1 g jugs, and id save $10...whatever. I now have 17g, for $17.97 pretty much, which i think is great! Do you think it was worth it? (NOTE: Im getting 20 gallons or so from the guy that im getting the rock and sand from :) Then that leaves about 10g which i think will get filled up by the 40lbs of live rock, and 40lbs of crushed coral :) ).

I sold the cichlids last night, got sand and rock taken out of the tank, and currently have almost emptied it fully out. I have about 1"-2" of water left i am going to take out. Then i will add the 17g of RO water, heater, powerhead, and salt at the right salinity :)

Also, i've decided on the fish list of:

-1 green chromis

-2 clowns

-1 false lemponpeel

I saw a false lemonpeel today (i saw them before and wanted them, but havenot seen them in a while, so i thought id get a tang) and remembered how much i like them more than yellow tangs. I like their body shape, much nicer than a flat yellow tang...also a small lemonpeel (Heraldi) angel is better suited to my tank than a yellow tang.

I'd invest in a RODI system rather than buy RO water. About $100 for a RODI system on Ebay. Saves time and money for mixing saltwater and evaporation replacement.

UPDATE:

Therefore i only spent $17.97 for 17 gallons of RO water! :D I think its great! My mom got ###ed off, and is mad at me for 'throwing' $10 away as she thinks i could have done 10 trips with only 1 g jugs, and id save $10...whatever. I now have 17g, for $17.97 pretty much, which i think is great! Do you think it was worth it?

UPDATE:

So i just went and got 17gallons of water from Culligan for $47.97 in total. However, when i take the jugs back i get $30.00 back. Therefore i only spent $17.97 for 17 gallons of RO water! :D I think its great! My mom got ###ed off, and is mad at me for 'throwing' $10 away as she thinks i could have done 10 trips with only 1 g jugs, and id save $10...whatever. I now have 17g, for $17.97 pretty much, which i think is great! Do you think it was worth it?

No. As someone already mentioned buy an RO unit. It will pay for itself and then some. Plus the hassle of going out to get water will be gone. I recommend a purely H2o unit.

Crushed coral trapes nitrate?!?!?!? Why didnt anyone tell me?!?!? :( :( :(

Its fine for now, im more into searching for a skimmer, and am not worried about a RO unit at thie moment in time.. in future i will as when im in my own house, i plan on having numersou salt tanks :)

Does that fish list sound good? 1 lemonpeel (false), 2 clowns (ocellaris), 1 chromis (green).

Also, what species, and how many critters should i get as my Clean up crew? My budget is $30 or so... Im trying to not go over that :) Im thinking on 2 large turbo snails, and 10 blue legged hermit crabs???

Really? lol

I thought of a niger triger. Gorgeous, cool, cheap, small...but grow large :( and arent colourful :( :( :(

ps- Could i grow xenia with 1wpg? The rock im getting tomrrow has xenia on it, and my lighting is 1wpg...

Archived