Cultivated Reef

RedSeaMax vs JBJ 28g HQI

NuNano

Red Sea Max34 or 28g Nano Cube HQI  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better for the money?

• Red Sea Max34
    • 28g Nano Cube HQI

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont like the skimmer in the JBJ, and it worries me that the stand for it comes with a special "section" made to fit a chiller in it... I think theres going to be heat problems..

well you gotta admit, that you rather have space for one than not have one when you do need it. just like they say you rather have a condom and not need it then not have one when you need it. just my 2cent. money wise i believe jbj is the better price for all that equipment. can't go wrong.

i like the JBJ.

there probably will be heat problems, but at least you know you have a special compartment just for the chiller. lol

so there's a $100 price gap between the two (the JBJ being cheaper), just spend the money you "saved" on a chiller.

Tim

JBJ may have heat issues, but that's fixable. I'm not so sure how fixable all the built-in stuff in the MAX is in comparison... JBJ gets my vote on this, but time will definitely tell.

Any of you like the skimmer in the JBJ better ?? I personally wouldnt want to change wooden air stones every month....

The RSM has thicker glass, holds more water, looks better, wouldnt need a chiller, etc... I dunno. Im sure time will tell, I just still think the RSM is the best "stock" all in one.... B)

JMO

what about the fact the jbj has an open back compartment with all the filter equipent - will this not dissipate heat?? red sea is totally enclosed from what I know

OK, so far here are the results and a quick break down..

Red Sea Max34 ( 1 vote / 12.5%)

JBJ 28g HQI ( 6 votes / 87.50%)

Key Comparison Factors:

Heat Issues: Sounds like the JBJ 28g HQI may have higher heat issues due to the metal halide in the hood. But they do offer a compartment for a chiller.

The RSM may also have heat issues as well since their website also states an area for a "chiller pump". I think overall many of these small all-in-one tanks may have heat concerns. I read on many of these threads about Nano Cubes, Aqua Pods, and Bio Cubes already having heat concerns even with less light than both of these higher powered systems.

Protein Skimmer: The RSM includes an integrated venturi skimmer which is more effective than the counter current in the JBJ. Changing air-stones can also be a hassle in the JBJ. I've also seen some bad reviews on the PRIZM skimmer but I think the RSM wins in this category.

Price: The JBJ HQI is cheaper by $100 but it is also smaller by 6 gallons than the RSM. But overall it has (2) key features that are different.. first the MH and second the wavemaker. IMO, a better value if size isn't as important

Glass Thickness: The RSM wins here with 8mm and the JBJ 28g HQI 6mm.

But I don't think it will be a problem since the 29g Biocube is also 6mm. But I will have to agree that the 8mm does feel more reassuring.

.Hi all

Red Sea MAX skimmer is a new developed "turbo injector" skimmer with specially designed comb impeller that produce air/water mixture ratio of 1: 4 (300 l/h air with 1200 l/h water).

The MAX cabinet incloudes chiller compartment that provides enough space for even 1/4 HP chiller.

nobody ever realizes that finnex is a great tank, if not better than either one of these, id go with the Mtank 32 with or without the MH upgrade

AGAIN the RedSea Max is WAY WAY WAY overpriced and UNDER light. Beautiful looking tank but my God you can get an aquapod 24 with 150w mh for $340 add on a protein skimmer great quality and you're still <$500. Red sea has to get with the program if they want to sell any units to knowledgeable buyers!!!!

My immediate suggestion for them, throw in additional 150w mh bulb for this price.

I'd buy the Red Sea MAX in a heartbeat...if the lighting wasn't what it is. I'd own one by now if they'd gone with T5 HO or MH. The 2x55w PCs though - what a disappointment, especially for $599

You can't have a crocea under the max's stock lighting! -_- What happened to the black background?

My buddy has has his Crocea in his 55 gallon for over 4 years with PC lighting and has had ZERO issues with him...... I have one in my BC29 with PC lighting and have had zero issues with him..... Why couldnt you keep one under T5 lighting ??

I'd buy the Red Sea MAX in a heartbeat...if the lighting wasn't what it is. I'd own one by now if they'd gone with T5 HO or MH. The 2x55w PCs though - what a disappointment, especially for $599

They are T5's arent they ??? Said right on the nanotuners sight that it had T5's... maybe nanotuners site is wrong ??

Hi all

Regular power compact lighting has a tube diameter of 6/8” which is known as T6

T5 lighting has a smaller tube diameter (5/8”) which gives the higher intensity output.

We have had special power compact tubes produced for us with the T5 diameter tube instead of the regular T6 diameter in order to get a better light intensity.

The special T5 Power Compact format has allowed us to provide 55W of light in a smaller footprint than the equivalent (2 x 24W) regular T5 tubes would provide. We are using an electronic ballast to power the PC’s which guarantees the performance. This combined with the high quality Hammertone reflector provides a true Reef Spec lighting for the Max.

I apologize if our product description is confusing and hope that the above answers your enquiry.

Hi all

Regular power compact lighting has a tube diameter of 6/8” which is known as T6

T5 lighting has a smaller tube diameter (5/8”) which gives the higher intensity output.

We have had special power compact tubes produced for us with the T5 diameter tube instead of the regular T6 diameter in order to get a better light intensity.

The special T5 Power Compact format has allowed us to provide 55W of light in a smaller footprint than the equivalent (2 x 24W) regular T5 tubes would provide. We are using an electronic ballast to power the PC’s which guarantees the performance. This combined with the high quality Hammertone reflector provides a true Reef Spec lighting for the Max.

I apologize if our product description is confusing and hope that the above answers your enquiry.

p.s.

The Tridacna corcea in the above MAX, showed a growth rate of 1.2 in. a year.

p.s.

The Tridacna corcea in the above MAX, showed a growth rate of 1.2 in. a year.

Guess that answers the you cant have a clam under that stock lighting. :happy:

Red Sea Tech,

I am considering the Red Sea Max. My question concerns the lighting and since I am some what new to this, I am not sure where the lighting on this tank stands in regards to what corals can I keep and what would not do well with this lighting.

Thanks.

RedSeaTech,

Our understanding as of today (01-21-07) is that the Red Sea Max is pretty much Vaporware? No one seems to be able to order one and several of the larger on line and all of our local live fish shops have all but given up on ever receiving those that they have had/have on order.

JBJ is saying look for their unit towards the end of March or April (2007) so I guess we will see who is able to actually deliver, that is unless you are able to provide a source when someone could actually purchase your tank?

Mr. MegaYacht

I was at my LFS today, and they have 3 of them in stock. Already sold 2 of them. Maybe they only roled out enough for the wholesalers.

Oh, and I live in the middle of nowhere...

I would go with the finnex tank or a modded 24g from nanotuners. Both of these will be much cheaper.

We wanted to get something a little larger than another Nano 24g and we do not want a plastic tank so that leaves the Red Sea Max or the JBJ 28. While we generally like the specs. on the Red Sea Max, the MHQ on the JBJ along with the wave timer, dual pumps and other things are pushing us in that direction.

Who knows maybe we should bite the big one and go with a Sapphire 34 cube or something similar and totally mod it and get what we really want.

Mr MegaYacht

bucknellreefer
We wanted to get something a little larger than another Nano 24g and we do not want a plastic tank so that leaves the Red Sea Max or the JBJ 28. While we generally like the specs. on the Red Sea Max, the MHQ on the JBJ along with the wave timer, dual pumps and other things are pushing us in that direction.

Who knows maybe we should bite the big one and go with a Sapphire 34 cube or something similar and totally mod it and get what we really want.

Mr MegaYacht

How about the 30g glass M-Tank?

Archived