Cultivated Reef

Hoob's 30g Finnex

Hoobahans

I have a 6 month old (including the nc24 that I transfered) finnex 30g with mostly zoas, three clams, and a few lps. I will focus mostly on posting pics. Im not great at taking them... I hope that you like them.

Equiptment:

-150 watt vipter 14k

-96 watt T5 HO 10k/actinic

-Tunze 9002 skimmer

-MJ 1200

-Minijet 606

-Iceprobe in a AC20 (will be in the 5.5 aga when it's set up)

-JBJ ATO

Livestock:

-maroon clown

-mollies

-sadleback blenny

-skunk cleaner

-cukes, hermits, snails, conch, cowrie

FTS

New_Room_Set_UP_072.jpg

For any zoas that you know the name and feel like telling me, I would appreciate it.

New_Room_Set_UP_115.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_110.jpg

Heres my first clam. Its got some hair algae at the moment, and a huge tunicate.

New_Room_Set_UP_010.jpg

And these are my babies. Both are maximas.

New_Room_Set_UP_4281.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting to get the hang of this camera...

New_Room_Set_UP_521.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_178.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_172.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_175.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_205.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_186.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_212.jpg

I picked up a emerald crab to take care of my bubble algae today:

New_Room_Set_UP_131.jpg

I also get a reef lobster. It's very shy, so it might take me a while to get a good pic of it.

Heres my clown:

New_Room_Set_UP_157.jpg

My lobster finally gave me a clear shot of him, although still not the best pic.

New_Room_Set_UP_474.jpg

These are "chameleon mushrooms" that I got from FloorLord

New_Room_Set_UP_391.jpg

Heres a shot of some great sweeper tenticles from my candy cane. I'm always impressed at how much these guys will eat.

New_Room_Set_UP_601.jpg

And here are my favorite zoas that I own. I am not sure what their name is, any suggestions?

New_Room_Set_UP_332.jpg

I got the 10 pack sps/lps from reefermadness and it will be arriving tomorrow. I am really excited and will get pics posted asap. I have been working toward thispoint for quite a while and I hope all goes well. I got my calcium up over 400 for months now, alk at 8-9, zero nitrates and nitrites and a lot of light with a good flow. Wish me luck.

They arrived! HUGE box for only 12 frags (I got 2 for free). They were a little cold, but polyps are already extending int he bags as they float. For size comparison, the boxes on that callender and 2x2 inches.

New_Room_Set_UP_547.jpg

Alright, everything is in the tank. Polyps are extending on almost everything and the colors are already showing. Here are a few pictures.

New_Room_Set_UP_738.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_750.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_761.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_769.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_777.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_792.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_822.jpg

AH! Disaster! My cowrie climbed up onto the frag rock and knocked my birdsnest over INTO the anemone! The anemone ate the frag and I didnt realize it until a few minutes ago. When I felt the frag in the anemone I was so supprised that I squeezed too hard and the frag poked through the anemone, at which point the anemone spilled all of its food and gunk into the water. I had to remove the anemone as I was sure it was dieing, although it was wedged under a rock and in the process of pulling it out all of the frags well and I lost the smallest one in the sand. It took 5 minutes to find it and I kicked up a cloud of sand and anemone guts. I got the birdsnest out, but I am almost sure that it is dead... Theres a few spots of pink on it...but it doesnt look too great. Is there anything that I can do? I got most of the gunk out and put an extra sponge in to catch any junk that's still floating around. That birdsnest was one of my favorites, if not my favorite. What a dissapointment.

New_Room_Set_UP_828.jpg

Oh yeah, to top it all off I woke up this morning to find that my ato tube that feeds the new water had fallen into the water and the pump had been turning on and off allnight, filling the tank with freshwater and then siphoning out saltwater. The temperature had fallen to 70 degrees and salinity had dropped to 1.23. Everything looks alright, though. What a stressful day!

Wow! Sorry to hear about your bad night/day. Yesterday my 3-head torch (the one my clown hosts in) fell 2 DIFFERENT times onto the sand. And it fell to the same spot, right between my frogspawn and my new hammer. :( The torch looks to have some tissue damage on some of the tenticles where it was into the side of the hammer, the hammer appears to have very minimal tissue damage at worst. The frogspawn, completely untouched. I guess they ARE invincible after all.

Alright, I have mounted and attached all of the frags. What do you all think about the placement? Too much/too little light for anything. It is a bit hard to see, but there is a 150 watt metal halide about 10 inches about the rock in the middle. There is also a 96 watt t5 fixture over the tank.

New_Room_Set_UP_983.jpg

You can see where the metal halide is a bit better here.

New_Room_Set_UP_988.jpg

Heres the acro right under the mh, check out that polyp extention!

New_Room_Set_UP_959.jpg

Alright, well I am just going to continue posting to myself... if anyone has a comment or suggestion, or even an insult I'd be happy for some feedback.

Heres my emarald crab feeling like it is an acrobat. Did not work out in the end, it ended up in the sand.

New_Room_Set_UP_997.jpg

I found a little pest in my blasto, peppermint on the way.

New_Room_Set_UP_1021.jpg

And I couldnt resist posing a few more of my new sps. They are my first and I am enjoying them a bit too much. I think tha a few polyps of my birdsnest might have survived its trip to my anemone's stomach. Sorry that the second pic is so crappy, when I zoom in I loose focus.

New_Room_Set_UP_1014.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_1011.jpg

An actinic shot:

New_Room_Set_UP_1048.jpg

Alright, I origionally had this thread running as my project with the finnex and a 5.5 aga looped together. I was feeling unsure as I am overwhelmed with school and keeping up one tank, but now I am sure I will get it going. I got a picture of the stand and hood that a local reefer is making for me (for free, how sweet is that?) and it looks so good that I will have to set it up just to do it justice. I origionally was going to set it up all the way across the room and use pvp pipes to connect them, but on a dry run the water wouldnt flow. Now I am going to put it on a bookshelf next to the finnex and I think that it will flow a lot better. Anyway, the stand pic doenst show the actual aquarium that I will use, the one in the stand is the tank that I broke while trying to drill my first hole. The actual tank is in the second pic with two overflows to conceal the overflow pipe and the powerheads.

tank35.jpg

New_Room_Set_UP_0631.jpg

Check it out!

After spending half a day in the stomach of my anemone, the birdsnest is showing some polyp extention! I dont know if it can still grow, but there is some life left in it.

New_Room_Set_UP_1052.jpg

ClowningAround

Hey, your tank looks pretty nice, I like it. sorry to hear about the anemone accident...hope everything turns out good. Nice lookin zoas and real awesome pic of your clown. What type of camera/lens are you using?

Hey, your tank looks pretty nice, I like it. sorry to hear about the anemone accident...hope everything turns out good. Nice lookin zoas and real awesome pic of your clown. What type of camera/lens are you using?

Hey, thanks about the clown pic. I am using s Nikon D50 that I borrow from a friend. THe lense is the one that came with the camera and it is a Nikon Nikkor 28-80mm. It really isnt that great, I just take hundreds of pics and then choose the few that turn out well. One of my residents (Im an RA) takes sports pictures and has a HUGE lense that I am going to borrow one of these days to get some real nice, up-close shots.

On a side note, I got another emerald crab, peppermint shirmp, red brittle star, pin-cushion urchin, and orange gorgeon from sealifeflorida yesterday. I will try to get a few good shots of them in the next few days. I hope that aiptasia anemone gets taken care of asap.

New additions:

red brittle star

New_Room_Set_UP_1054.jpg

pin-cushion urchin

New_Room_Set_UP_1078.jpg

And just for fun, heres my 9002's production for the past few days

New_Room_Set_UP_1080.jpg

This is an hour long exposure with only the two small moonlights on.

New_Room_Set_UP_11391.jpg

A pretty cool picture of my urchin that decided to pick up an echino frag and carry it around for a while. (I "auto-corrected" it so that it is possible to see the frag)

New_Room_Set_UP_1115.jpg

Heres a nice long exposure with moonlights only of the eagle eyes and a lepestrea frag in the background. The time exposure gave a really good depth of field and a lot of detail on the lepestrea.

New_Room_Set_UP_1135.jpg

Very nice pics, especially the moonlight pic! Is your skimmate in the cup more frothy or liquidy? I can't get mine to froth. :(

My skimmate is really frothy. It took about a week to get it adjusted just right, but now it is good. When I look at it, the bubbles/froth just come up to the bottom of the tube inside the cup, but somehow they must jump up every now and then because the skimmate level rises daily. It's real nice and gunky. Btw, I switched out the stock skimmer for an old tunze 9002.

Archived