SaltCritters.com

Phixion's Finnex 30g glass

Phixion

With the help of Asin, I brought my new Finnex 30g glass tank to my apartment and set it up. I set up thwe Finnex stand for it the night before so that everything was ready to go. I had made an appointment of sorts to pick up fresh new L/R from ReeferMadness yesterday around noon, but when i got there with Asin and EXcompnay, the place was closed and locked up. :( No hating though, they still have great service and fellow reefers came through when I called up another member and we organized a thread to see if anyone had contacts to the owner of the shop, but no dice. Luckily we were close to Pacific Reef, and the owner there Mike came through with some AWESOME L/R that's been marinading in his L/R bins for about 2 months. I picked out the finest 26lbs. I could find of Ultra Premium Fiji (my only choice I had to go with) and Asin and me scooped it up into a bucket, straight from the bin it was in. The rock never saw open air any longer than 20 seconds at any point. The result was completely cycled and cured L/R that saw NO ammonia or nitrate spike once introduced into the new tank, just as I had planned out. Of course I let it sit in the tank with a powerhead over it for the night, and everything remained perfect. I started off with 20lbs. of fresh new Indo-Pacific L/S to which I'll be adding the existing 20lbs. of the same from my AP12g tank, for a total of 40lbs. in the Finnex 30g which should be plenty deep for my Dusky Jawfish. Also started off with 20g of premixed saltwater using Tropic Marin, and I still have my exisiting L/R from my old tank to put in as well as some of the water from it. Since my rock in the AP12g is GHA and possibly even bryopsis covered (mostly GHA though), I bought a sea hare from the LFS i got the rock from, which should be well fed from that rock and the GHA covering it. The sea hare is about 3-4" long, so it's a baby.

For the spec fiends, the tank is as follows:

30g, "24w X "18L X 18h

Main pump is rated at 475gph

Skimmer pump is 211gph

Venturi type protein skimmer

4x24w T5HO fixture w/ moon LEDs built-in

Fuge chamber w/ 13w fuge light included

5mm tempered glass construction

And last but not least, the first pic I've tanken of it so far... :D

new_tank2.jpg

I'd like to thank Asin, EZcompany, PotsyGSXR, and Mike at Pacific Reef as the key players to helping me make this tank possible from physical help to advice to just tagging along with at the LFS and the trip to R/M in Torrance. :P

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice dude!

Question tho: 475 gph, that's it? Man, you need some more flow in that bad boy. I had more than that on my 12dx.

D

Dang, son! That tank looks professionally set-up! :D

Stop drooling foo, and get your ass over here to fish up what you started with it!! :lol:

Stop drooling foo, and get your ass over here to fish up what you started with it!! :lol:

I'll be over there before noon. You want me to bring your clam?

Nice dude!

Question tho: 475 gph, that's it? Man, you need some more flow in that bad boy. I had more than that on my 12dx.

D

lol, that's it so far for now. I'll probably add a couple MJ900's or something, or I was considering going with a wave setup... I've seen this dual outlet pump controller that's only about $50 and it'll alternately control 2 seperate powerheads for wave action. I'd outfit it with like an MJ1200 and a smaller pump (MJ900 or 600) to give alternating current flows for the wave action. A saller one then a bigger one. I dunno how that would work out though. I can't afford the Tunze wavemaker, ahaha!! :lol: But yeah, what all would you suggest for it, and more importantly, are you gonna roll on by today to check it out before your game? B)

I'll be over there before noon. You want me to bring your clam?

Naw, I bought it for YOU to keep! :P haha, yeah bring it!!

Fo sho!

Remember you have to acclimate for 3 days or EZ will cry.

Yeah yeah... Hey bring over some cheeto too! :lol: I gotta get my fuge on!

Yeah yeah... Hey bring over some cheeto too! :lol: I gotta get my fuge on!

Who the hell puts cheetos in their fuge? Who do you think you are, Dane? :lol:

What are you going to do with your 12gAP?

SCR

Sell it, I don't have the room for 2 tanks right now. I'd love to keep it, but I can't right now.

ReefInChicago
Sell it, I don't have the room for 2 tanks right now. I'd love to keep it, but I can't right now.

phixion,

i responded to your question on the skimmer over on my 30g thread. didn't know if you'd check there or not, since this IS your thread. i posted some pics of my skimmer over there that i hope will help.

Damn Homie! That tank is squarer than a box of apple jacks, in a literal sense. You better be feeding that Sea Hare, it wont survive on algae in that tank alone!

sorry wasn't there for setting it up as my sis is in town.

its looking great though! take pics of the setup with lights on, place the clam as high as possible, if it shows signs of stress, then sell it to IZ!

sorry wasn't there for setting it up as my sis is in town.

its looking great though! take pics of the setup with lights on, place the clam as high as possible, if it shows signs of stress, then sell it to IZ!

haha, well if it were any higher up, it would be out of the water, so I'll have to keep an extra close eye on evap with the tank. But it's high up and loving life it looks like. What kind of flow do they like and should I avoid with the clam, Jin? I ask because it's close to the return nozzle, but I turned it away from the clam because the flow is like a jacuzzi! And no worries on saturday/sunday, family first always! B) More pics for sure are in order tonight!

Thanks Dave, I'll keep the hare well fed, no worries! ;)

As an update, hours after adding my livestock back in (I made the mistake of keeping HALF of my corals in a container overnight (saturday into sunday) WITHOUT a heater, thus the temp probably got to near 70) but everything survived! Fish are doing well though my Dusky was a little upset at me, lol! And all of my corals have opened up. My clown is confused and not sure if the torch it used to host is the same torch or not, it's slowly going back to it though. I tested the water perams before going to bed, and no ammonia or nitrate spikes to speak of. Ammonia was o, Nitrites was 0 and Nitrates was between 1 and 2 which is better than my AP12. pH however was 8.0 which seemed low to me, but it's within range... Alk and Ca I'll test out tonight along with nitrates again. I'm running the SeaChem Ammonia Alert thing, so I have a constant instant monitor of free ammonia there.

Finnex glass day 2, everything is going good! I finally got to seriously scape some stuff when I got home frm work today. But I took an FTS both before and after the daylights went out for the night:

finnex2.jpg

finnex1.jpg

And for those curious, my Dusky set up shop (burrow) right up front like I had hoped, oh yeah!! :happydance:

very nice, can you post a pic of the clam with lights on? i want to check on the mantle extension :)

as of flow, they can tolerate a good bit, but prefer milder currents.

very nice, can you post a pic of the clam with lights on? i want to check on the mantle extension :)

as of flow, they can tolerate a good bit, but prefer milder currents.

I'll get you a better pic tomorrow, but the clam looks good from what I can tell. You'll have to teach me any upkeep I'll need to do with it.

clam1.jpg

ReefInChicago
Very nice, bro. I'm proud of you.

looks really awesome!

your water's already clearer than mine, and i really like the setup!

looks really awesome!

your water's already clearer than mine, and i really like the setup!

I too was surprised at how fast it cleared up. But I dropped in a sack of Purigen off the bat as well as didn't have any die off in the transfer process.

I too was surprised at how fast it cleared up. But I dropped in a sack of Purigen off the bat as well as didn't have any die off in the transfer process.

clam looks good! Dane would be proud!

clam looks good! Dane would be proud!

YAY, I hope so! I was concerned that it wasn't opening up as much as it should... So the mantle extension in the pic is about how it should always look? it's close to the light, so it shouldn't be reaching I hope...

Archived