Cultivated Reef

Party at my place--BYOD-Bring your own Dremel!

mvite

Look what I got today. I think the large acro is the biggest piece of coral I have ever owned....

IMG_9211.jpg

And there's a sweet slimer/somekinda acro...

IMG_9215.jpg

And some-a-dis....

IMG_9218.jpg

And some rics....

IMG_9228.jpg

Whaddya think? I just got the acros today!! BZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!! I can already feel the splashes on my face from the cutting wheel!! <sniff> yep, that's the smell of burnin' coral....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice grabs man whered you pic them up?

I got the acros from Scott at Just Corals. He's a good dude---he always takes care of me.

I got the rics from a wholesaler who contacted me from auctions I had on ebay. The prices weren't that great--but he had a good amount of good color rics. I figured I'd give him a try. A place out of Miami called D&R wholesalers.

mandarin dragonet

look i n the middle of #1 theres an acropora crab in it, theyre reef safe and protect the acro from parasites.

Juanhunglo69
look i n the middle of #1 theres an acropora crab in it, theyre reef safe and protect the acro from parasites.

Saw the crab but didn't know what it was. Are the pics in your tank or are they in the sellers tank?

Saw the crab but didn't know what it was. Are the pics in your tank or are they in the sellers tank?

They're in my tank under 10K halides.

I love those little crabs. Just about every acro I get has one in it! He was my focal point!

The big acro needs to color up a bit--but it's sage green at best. I got it to "play with"--I can frag the heck out of it for a long time.

I got a Ca reactor a few months back and when I get it working right---I had planned on having a lot of SPS to "watch grow". I am gonna blast the acros apart and mount each one on its side. Lately I have been able to split the fatter branches allowing me to get a flatter frag with more surface area. I'm hoping that will allow for wider growth. So far it's working great!

Check out some other pics....and this is just my top rack!

Left side

IMG_9239.jpg

Right side

IMG_9240.jpg

the only acceptable acro crab that is known so far is the bandit acro crab, which has a very smooth white carapace and cute little black eyes.

your crab looks like Acro_crab.jpg which is bad news as he will scrape and eat polyps at night slowly, resulting in the eventual death of the coral.

here is my acro crab:

img4124tc4.jpg

:bowdown:

NIce tub of Ocean.

That purple cap blings (Idaho grape??)

Izzue

Thanks! Good eye---let's see---

At about 11:00 there is some Superman monti. There is one piece of purple monti cap--and the rest are grape m. undata. They got lots of growing to do!

Wow. Very cool. I love these diy rubbermaid prop systems.

Thanks bud--It's a 110 gallon Tuff Tub with a 54 gallon tub fuge. That top shelf is more for light lovers and the bottom is where I put the LPS and some softies.

the only acceptable acro crab that is known so far is the bandit acro crab...

I will smush the little jerk then. And I think I have a few to smush!

I have a bandit one in my display! I didn't know what it was--but he switches from acros to monti digitata frequently.

And hey--thanks for getting your crab out to photo for me! Isn't it clam scrubbin' night?? :)

Thanks for going through the trouble!

Thanks! Good eye---let's see---

At about 11:00 there is some Superman monti. There is one piece of purple monti cap--and the rest are grape m. undata. They got lots of growing to do!

Thanks bud--It's a 110 gallon Tuff Tub with a 54 gallon tub fuge. That top shelf is more for light lovers and the bottom is where I put the LPS and some softies.

I will smush the little jerk then. And I think I have a few to smush!

I have a bandit one in my display! I didn't know what it was--but he switches from acros to monti digitata frequently.

And hey--thanks for getting your crab out to photo for me! Isn't it clam scrubbin' night?? :)

Thanks for going through the trouble!

no problemo~

mandarin dragonet

i heard on a documentary (planet earth) that they protect the coral, not eat it, because if any flatworms are on it the crab gets dindins :D

• 3 weeks later...

Alright--Well, my garage smells like a bad day at the beach now--But I thought I would update yous all with some pics.

IMG_9735.jpg

IMG_9737.jpg

Er1c--That's some of your yellow millie there

IMG_9741.jpg

On the left is a whole bunch of Elkhorn monti. There's some m.confusa and a small piece of Er1c's pokerstar and purple rimmed m. cap

IMG_9743.jpg

Here's some Idaho Grape Undata that was growing like crazy in my display. I have a nice bit with the colony and I want to give these pieces some TLC.

IMG_9740.jpg

And more.....some LPS!!

Here's a small piece of Orange Crush Acan I got from pookstreet. It's a small piece that I have BIG plans for! :lol:

IMG_9744.jpg

Here's a single mouth of it--I LOVE this acan--So I have tried to grow the smallest piece of tissue I could---This is 5 times the size that it was!!! LOL!

IMG_9756.jpg

Here's mama-

IMG_9759.jpg

And this ain't aquaculture--yet---this is just me having to get rid of that darn tunicate colony as it was starting to grow over the edge of the acan.

IMG_9746.jpg

Can I come help you gaze at all that Life :D

Nice work...looks like some good growth rate also

Vite...what Kelvin bulb are you using??

Im not happy with the Hamms growth rate at 14k...it looks awesome and no

actinics needed...but growth is slloowww.

Izzue

Awesome!

Hey thanks! I use that word a lot!

Can I come help you gaze at all that Life :D

Nice work...looks like some good growth rate also

Vite...what Kelvin bulb are you using??

Im not happy with the Hamms growth rate at 14k...it looks awesome and no

actinics needed...but growth is slloowww.

Izzue

C'mon over!

I am supposedly using 10K Hamiltons. But one of the bulbs is shorter than the other--and that one seems much more yellow than the other. The SPS are under the "shorter" 10K and the zoas and LPS are under the "longer" 10K that seems much more blue. I don't know why there's a difference---I see the "10K" etched into both of the bulbs.

I just bought a used MH set up with a spider reflector to replace the Hamilton Bell I have. I also am waiting for my Lux Meter to come so I can do this correctly. I know that there's some overlap of lighting with having two pendants on my tub. I want to make the most of my light---and make sure that my low light stuff stays low. Some of the acans and stuff really don't appreciate the light when they first get here!!

Dude. Seriously.... I'm on my way over right now. I'll be there around 3ish. Expect an empty garage when you get home.

:haha:

I wish lol

LOL! It's in the basement--on the other side of the garage....

I am headed to Harrisburg tomorrow night and then Philly on Monday--if I was driving straight to Philly I coulda brought you a care package. Although--most of those frags are months away from me selling any. They're pathetically small!

I had trouble with the purplish one. It didn't take well to the fragging process. I lost more of that than any. The large green one was a challenge too. I did it over the past few weeks so I broke it up a bit...pun intended.

The slimer and the reddish acro went great and are starting to attach already. I got some nice frags from Er1c and fragged those--and they have attached on their own.

I have to figure out how to make these things start to grow upward. I do really well with them fusing to a base--but then they don't climb. I get 'em kinda like melted candles.

The Propagator

Thats why I always cut them with snips as evenly as I can then use my dremel to make it perfedtly leve so it will sit flush on the plug. Then I super glue it cut side down to the plug.

they grow upwards and cover the plug faster for me that way.

BTW Mark LOOKING GOOD MANE !!!!

I see my buddy Scott hooked you up once again :)

See what happends when you listen to me once in a while LOL!!!!

I know some one who is going to make a mint on ebay in a month or two !

MARK !!!

Burn it up buba !!

Archived