SaltCritters.com

Tentacles' 10g not so pico

Tentacles

Hello all,

Ive been having my 10g AGA up and running for awhile now, about a month Id say, but Ive been posting stuff on my 2g(really 2.5) pico thread so I thought Id make a new thread for it. Everything I had in my pico has gone in here and additions have been made and so on...

Equipment:

-10g AGA

-AC20 HOB fuge mod and 20w light

-Whisper 10 HOB with sponge

-PowerHead Pro3 rated at about 150-260GPH so im guessin about 200

-Current USA Dual Daylight/Actinic Sattelite 80w fixture on a 12 hour timed light cycle

might get bold enough to do a 2.5g sump/fuge if I ever get the plumbing straight, perhaps use the Pro3 for the pump and get a smaller PH for the tank....we'll see

Livestock

-?lbs live rock, 4 from pico plus maybe an 8 or 10 pound piece...need a bit more

-19lbs live sand, 4lbs from pico to seed one bag of aragonite

-5 hermits: 1 blue leg, 1 zebra, 3 red legs and not a trace of algae :D

-Snails: 1 astrea, 1 turbo, 2 nassaurius

-Three headed green pink tipped frogspawn

-2 zoa colonies

-3 soon to be 4 headed caulestra- greenish

-blue/green/red ricordia

-juvenile maroon clown- dont need the size speech ;) , once he gets to be about -2.5 or 3 inches hes going into a 75gallon and a pair attempt will soon follow

-zillions of random featherdusters

.......currently on the hunt for a bubble tip anemone for the clown to maybe host

ill try to get some pics up very soon

thanks in advance for your views input suggestions and comments!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i was looking at the glass and at first I thought all these little white dots that have been there for awhile were pods of some sort....but I looked at them again and theyre all featherdusters, anyone ever had this happen? I can count about 20 or more on the glass, theyre very tiny but big enough to identify, think my turbo will eat em up?

still workin on that camera......

They're not really called feather dusters. I forget what the trendy name for them is, but every tank has/gets them. Just carefully scrape them off of areas you don't want them (aka the front where you look in).

yea, im not sure either, alot of sites just call them tubeworms which in essence i guess they are

heres a bad pic from my macbook camera, its all opposite of the real layout

post-22663-1164830377_thumb.jpg

Just a suggestion. If you're planning on getting an anemone, make sure you have a heater and can keep a constant temp. I can guarantee you that you don't with just the light. When the light goes off and the house cools down, the temp will drop. Lights back on = temp back up. Your anemone won't like that. Consistency is huge with them. Get a good JAGER heater, and you're golden. I lived in NJ for a few years. I know the temp changes in a tank. ;)

P.S. Nice frogspawn! Reminds me of my old one from Tigahboy...

Just a suggestion. If you're planning on getting an anemone, make sure you have a heater and can keep a constant temp. I can guarantee you that you don't with just the light. When the light goes off and the house cools down, the temp will drop. Lights back on = temp back up. Your anemone won't like that. Consistency is huge with them. Get a good JAGER heater, and you're golden. I lived in NJ for a few years. I know the temp changes in a tank. ;)

P.S. Nice frogspawn! Reminds me of my old one from Tigahboy...

i agree completely, i have a 50w visitherm stealth on hand whenever i get the anemone, i love the stealths, i have a 250w in my 55g fw and the temp has never changed one degree ever

got some news today and put together an idea

Now, and for some time, I will be keeping the 10g up and running, but Ive been debating alot on upgrading size and how big is too big for when I have to move again-college- and I think Ive come up with a good game plan. this 10g will be running for the rest of this school year- until may 31st. I am selling my 55g fw tank for $110 and getting a 29 gallon tank with stand and filter and lights for $40 off craigslist (everything I own is from craigslist its great), so next year I will set that up with the 10g as the sump and my little maroon will have some more room, and I wont have to set up the 75g Im keeping stored for when Im in a very permanent house- after college most likely.

until then the 10g remains- the maroon will prob have to go somewhere else before next year tho, hes slowly growin, maybe ill plumb the 29 up with the 10 just with water in it..... just $29 for water and a few bucks for pvc hmmm...... just thinking out loud anyone got some suggestions?

still waiting on that good camera! my piece of baserock is coloring up nicely and im getting a bit of coraline on the sides of the tank, finally settlin in a bit

thanks for putting up with my babbling, this hobby is crazzy addicting bah

lol, tank is coming along nicely. since you are in need of a portable tank for college, I would stay away from plumbing and sumps. it will make it that much easier to move everything. a huge aquaclear would work out. I supppose you could set the 29g up later on but at that point you might as well move the contents of the 10g over as well. the maroon should be fine in the 10g for now. also, if you upgade to a 15g tall you could keep your current lighting although it wouldnt be the greatest. 24" long tanks seem to have the best choices. i really like the 15g tank size :)

ive added a few more corals to the tank, got a frag of lemon lime zoas and a frag of gsp and a bubble tip anemone

ill try to get some good pics once i get a decent freekin camera ;)

its about to split into 3 heads and if i can figure out how to frag it id be happy too, i forget that your just up in maryland, quite close. got any cool trades?? ;)

its about to split into 3 heads and if i can figure out how to frag it id be happy too, i forget that your just up in maryland, quite close. got any cool trades?? ;)

i will have some colt corals next weekend, interested?

heres a few pics, very small, but ones of the frogspawn and th other of the bta....its sad when your roomates phone has a better camera on it then your actual camera

if anyone knows how to enlarge them tell me! i cant find out how

....after xmas break ill be having a new camera, promise

post-22663-1165462773_thumb.jpg post-22663-1165462784_thumb.jpg

edit: aquakevem know idea what they are but ill search em up and yea definitely interested, always on the lookout for something new!

edit edit: oh yea! stupid me, yes definitely interested

edit: aquakevem know idea what they are but ill search em up and yea definitely interested, always on the lookout for something new!

edit edit: oh yea! stupid me, yes definitely interested

cool, i will keep you updated on things that might interest you

its probably the worst pic of all time but its proof for you aquakevem, just fragged the three headed frogspawn

unfortunatley the two heads that were close together had a little tear :( , but I think each mouths are still intact phew, im hoping they will heal and make 2 new healthy heads but the third in the middle which was a clean cut, -it was branced far away from the two new heads, and i think the biggest spread, is just for you :) im gunna let it hang out for a few days and let it recover and open back up

post-22663-1165547440_thumb.jpg

My maroon completely ignored a gbta for six days. Then I walked into the room and there they were, fornicating :)

YES!

you give me hope good sir

Archived