Pod Your Reef

i-don't-know-why-i-start-again tank

Duncan

hi everyone, i'm back. :happy:

not sure if i was missed but just to say i was busy and tank went downhill as a result. :(

not many survived except for 1 clown and some snails. the acro and the plate were the major deaths along with my zoas and palys. and i was lucky that i sold most of my corals before that.

although i kept the tank running but it was more like a hibernating state. no lights no corals for more than 4 months (or 5 months?). kinda rock curing process but not exactly. i don't really know what to do with the tank and the remaining livestock. depressing actually... haha

so anyway, i have been visiting the member's tank forum again since this week. forum is great as usual, with so many outstanding tanks.

then it got me into two minds... should i or should i not. before i knew it, i was already at the lfs (6 months since i last visited).

yes, i bought an acan and that's where it starts all over again for me. :rolleyes:

********************************************************************************

just to name my equipments, which are all left-overs. i didn't buy anything new.

tank is a less than 20 gallon low tank. it was my spare tank and i had everything transferred from the old tank after the ordeal, like a few months ago.

tunze nano skimmer 9002, which was installed since the tank transferring. i got my old seio powerhead in as well. it's hidden behind the rocks, pointing upwards.

then the light is my trustworthy 150w metal halide (20,000k), which hangs about 10 inches from the water surface.

fts.

DSCN8458.jpg

acan.

DSCN8467.jpg

acan close-up.

DSCN8470.jpg

i'm not exactly sure what i want to do with this tank, but i will stock it very slowly.

so this is where i stop my blabbering 'cos it's 230am over here. good night. ;)

thanks for looking!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see you back on here Duncan...I wondered where you went to.

We all, well at the majority, go through a stage of business and decline of our tanks. I know I did and now I'm sucked right back in almost worse than before. Once you get a little salt in your veins it's hard to get it out.

oh snap! your Green tank died?! that was one of my favorites! i'm sorry. :(

i know what you mean about getting too busy to care for the tank though. i just hate it when real life intrudes upon our hobby. :lol:

supernip,

toomin is enlisted into the army for 2 years, as part of our national service. i did my share,10 years ago. his tank is a goner too and he's starting up a vivarium currently.

divecj5,

yup, reef-keeping is somewhat like a escapade therapy for real life. the bigger your problem, the bigger your reef! :P

Lalani,

thanks gal! i'm glad too. :lol: i spent a good hour foraging for the acan at the lfs. they had all their acans in the display tanks. and one of the tanks was a freaking 12 footer. :happydance: ah, good times.

StevieT,

hi, thanks for welcome! i appreciated it.

clownfish1124,

it isn't big at all, just about half the size of an iPhone. i tried to get the smallest acan at the lfs already. a bigger sized will offset the minature look i'm trying to achieve. yes, there are dinner plate sized acans, selling at the same price as mine. local lfs price-tag their coral by species, not species and size. which i think isn't really cool.

Pickle010,

thanks! i like it too. one of my better aquascapes. *shameless* lol. anyway, i'm thinking of stocking it with some expensive, smallish corals, which something which i never done before. i'm a cheapskate, by nature. so this approach is a pretty huge step for me.

tinyreef,

thanks for the kind words! technically, it didn't die but transcended over to this current tank. much like will smith's seven pounds. argh, who am i kidding? lol, i hate it too. so many things to settle, so little time for my freaking reef.

lakshwadeep,

thanks! I scaped it with a top shelf idea in mind. guess it turned out fine. :lol:

so erm, if anyone is wondering what happened to my old tank. it kinda became true to the name, green tank.

fts

DSCN8483.jpg

corner

DSCN8485.jpg

i was kind of lost that time and ventured to the green side. haha...

hi stoney. thank you! i havn't visit your tank blog but i guess they are as good as when i last saw it.

thanks, lalani. those are very kind words. i just hope my lawn can grow faster than the rate the fishes pluck 'em up.

YAY! DUNCANS BACK!

p.s do you mind private message me your handphone number? at least I can tell the bros and sisters here when you go MIA hahaha

anyway,

you are in time. I am starting a new tank too! We can go chiong LFS together! Irwana or Aquamarin? :D

Nick, thanks for the wlecome banner. :happy:

Ancelot, well no worries. i won't be mia any soon this time aroung. :lol:

thanks for the warm welcome!

clownfish1124
clownfish1124,

it isn't big at all, just about half the size of an iPhone. i tried to get the smallest acan at the lfs already. a bigger sized will offset the minature look i'm trying to achieve. yes, there are dinner plate sized acans, selling at the same price as mine. local lfs price-tag their coral by species, not species and size. which i think isn't really cool.

oh, I guess it just looks big to me...

iPhone reefers unite!

Needreefunds

Great to see you here again Duncan!

Looking forward to watching you put together another beautiful nano.

Following along, once again. :)

guys, thanks for all the warm welcomes!

here's a little update. i got myself a small frag of bali xenia. it has a tinge of blue-ness on it, but i couldn't capture it on my cam. *sulk*

DSCN8501.jpg

and a much closer color representation on my acan. my mh made everything glows with a purple tint. i only hate it for that.

DSCN8499.jpg

Hey Duncan. Nice to see you! :flower:

I was gone for a while too and when I came back I wondered where you were. Glad to see you back.

C

Nick, thanks for the wlecome banner. :happy:

Ancelot, well no worries. i won't be mia any soon this time aroung. :lol:

thanks for the warm welcome!

haha np dude :D

however,

I still think it's necessary for me to get your number. Cause I want to haunt you each time you forget to update this thread! (also to arrange time to exchange frags or ideas in our little island :D)

anyway,

you had a lovely tank before, but this one is going to be lovelier. Period :D

Archived