Pod Your Reef

Can photosynthetic gorgonians survive 3 days in the dark?

RESONANCE

Can a photosynthetic gorgonian survive 3 days shipping?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can a photosynthetic gorgonian survive 3 days shipping?

• YES
    • NO

Hey peeps,

I'm considering shipping a 3 inch or so frag of photosynthetic gorgonian across the country ( Canada) in a container with 250 - 300 ml of water (in a styrofoam box with a gel cold pack). The fastest method of shipping I can afford is 3 days guaranteed door to door shipping.

So I was wondering if anyone knows weather or not the gorgonian will survive? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advanced!

Can it survive 3 days of shipping...unlikely.

If it is a frag of a colony you have, and you know the person you are shipping it to, you could try. But, I would tell the person receiving it to be prepared to open a pretty smelly bag of goo if everything doesn't go perfect.

I received a frag of a photosynthetic gorgonian within Florida - 1 day ship, and when I got it, it looked horrible. I thought there was no way this thing would survive. I clipped off a couple spots where the flesh was visible missing and glued the remaining frag in the tank.

Took about a month, but the thing is actually looking pretty good now.

I was told they are very hardy, so maybe it could last three days. The bouncing and shaking would be the bigger issue rather than lack of light, as mentioned above.

lawnmowerblenny

thats to long, imo its stupid to send anything other than macro unless you have the garuntee it will be there the next day... livestock = dead coral, stinky house, and pissed off because what you have been waiting on arrives and is f'd! Dont waste your time or anyone elses money...

Yeah, I don't intend on wasting mine (too late though) or anyone else's money. Thus my query here. If it were all about the spondoolies, I woulda taken it and ran. I believe in capitalism with a conscience and practice it to the best of my abilities. If others did too maybe the world wouldn't be as f* up as it is now. -_-

Dont waste your time or anyone elses money...

Archived